lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #1
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Marathon to TXT48 conversion

Something new is about to happen.
Ezgo Marathon to TXT48 conversion. I know - I know. It can't be done, one is series and the other is sepex drive. Like oil and water - they can't mix!

Well maybe it's been done but not by me so here we go - this should be fun!

Me and my new friend Seth in NE will put the TXT48 conversion kit from CU in a 1991 Marathon and see if it runs as good as I think it will - Please comment and follow along
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2022, 07:56 AM   #2
Mnemonic Ghost
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon to TXT48 conversion

I am doing this soon as well... We'll kinda... I've already restored an '86 marathon to it's former glory. Then I added your alltrax and a beefy motor with a new rear end. Next up is giving it a lithium overhaul with a Roy pow 48v. There will be some fitment issues but I won't be too bad. I do have a question however, in another post you recommended I change the resistor to a 470 ohm. Is there a specific resistor you suggest? I know there are different wattage ratings and such I just wanna be sure I get the right part to go from 36 to 48.
Mnemonic Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:17 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

48v 10w. To be safe go to our website and buy the 470Ω resistor on the solenoid page. You will love the lithium conversion.

This project is not the same as a series conversion to solid state.
Series conversion like yours is what hundreds of BGW members have done over the past 10-15 years with our help.
That conversion to solid state in series has many advantages. It has allowed these older carts to be repurposed as safe and functional carts for work and recreation. Many of these carts are using their original motors on 36 or 48 volts.

This conversion is different in that it will change this cart from SERIES drive to SEPEX drive. Sepex drive is the popular drive system used in most all modern carts. This drive system convert the test cart into an upgraded TXT48 with 3 times the original horsepower making 22-23 mph on stock type tires. The test cart will also be fitted with Alltrax new in dash 3 mode key switch with regen control. This allows the cart to be locked in 1 of 3 modes like slow, medium, fast or lock-out, med, fast - each mode with access to the regen dial adjuster but mode access only by key. This is perfect for kids or locked when leaving it parked in public.
We will be using the following components
Alltrax XCT400 controller
SW180 solenoid
FN-DM-Key 3 mode control
2g cable set
Plug and play wire harness
LED digital battery meter
So excited to see this coming together. These kit developments are years in the making. This kit has it's roots in our IQ conversion for Club Car 1985 to present. This kit was literally 2 years in the making, released in 2019. Followed by the TXT48 conversion for series TXTs released late in 2021.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
PeterHS
Not Yet Wild

I will be watching this with interest! I have a 1993/4 Western based on a Marathon. Look forward to the details ScottyB! BTW - already on Lithium with a beefed up motor (from ScottyB) and what a difference!
PeterHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:53 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, this is going to be fun. Motor is already on the way for a proper test fitting.

Thanks for watching. I'm excited.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Going to look at a 92 Marathon cart this AM for this project.
Hopefully I'll bring it back with me. It's always good to have a sample cart in the shop for harness work!
Old 05-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Alright I found the perfect test bed just 1 hour south of me. Picking it up was painless if you don't count the high price of fixer-upper golf carts these days. But I got I got exactly what I needed. 1992 Marathon rolling chassis & body with controller, potentiometer, solenoid, F&R (frozen solid), and a key switch intact. No seats will make the test drive a little rough
Old 05-14-2022, 06:46 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Could not wait - had to know if this was gonna work as expected. Ran out and picked up the 1992 Marathon. Took a pair of cable cutters to it and stripped out the controller, solenoid, F&R, and motor. After carefully counting the splines on the old motor (2 or 3 times), I installed the new sepex B2 motor.
I'm stoked, this is going to work quite well. more later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2519.JPG (188.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2523.JPG (122.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2524.JPG (187.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2529.JPG (189.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Picture one is removed items.
Picture 2 is the old 2 hp motor.
Picture 3 is the new 10 hp motor.
Picture 4 sepex motor in a Marathon !

Some electronics work coming later today
Old 05-15-2022, 10:15 AM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

So this one will have the pot type throttle instead of ITS? Should work pretty well. 48txt harness?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO