lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2022, 04:17 PM   #1
DFitz
Not Yet Wild

Default Dead short problem over winter storage

I have a 97 EZGO 36v cart, I believe its a TXT. Over the winter when I went out to put the batteries on charge I found that they had shorted out. I brought them in and was able to get them all to take a good charge but can’t hook them to the cart without a heavy arc. I believe I have it tracked back to the speed controller. The controller looks like a Curtis 1206sx and if I unplug the 10 pin harness the short goes away. According to a fact sheet I found on the internet pin 9 & 10 should have battery voltage and I have that at the harness but the controller pins seem to be grounded. Seems like a no brainer that the controller is bad, but I’d like to know if something else could be going on before I put out the $400+ for a new controller. I also replaced the solenoid that somehow went bad also.
DFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dead short problem over winter storage

It is difficult to trouble shoot an electric cart without the batteries being connected. I would check the solenoid for welded contacts. This may be caused by a missing pre-charge resistor. Controllers have a bunch of internal filter capacitors that have to be gradually charged through this resistor to prevent this arc when solenoid contacts close. If they are welded, you will get this spark when batteries are first connected.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:23 AM   #3
DFitz
Not Yet Wild

I already replaced the solenoid, it had no pass thru current even when activated. Is the pre-charge resistor you mentioned mounted to the solenoid?
DFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:59 AM   #4
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFitz View Post
I already replaced the solenoid, it had no pass thru current even when activated. Is the pre-charge resistor you mentioned mounted to the solenoid?
It is usually mounted and connected between the two big post. If it had one it may have burned out when you had the problem with the solenoid contacts not making.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO