lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2022, 10:45 AM   #1
tek5378
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 CC Carryall 272 - pedal start - no start

Good morning,
I have a 2003 Club Car Carryall 272, pedal start, with a no start. I have a no-start issue. Have redone the grounds to negative block. Still no start, new solenoid, new key switches, the two switches one is a 3 position and one is a two position. I have lost all power to my dash, I can chase the red wire from fuse block to the key switch and have power. I noticed that the grounding block under the dash has been removed and the harness was grounded straight to the frame. Found a block with a black wire with a white line going to a block with positive and negative on it. The same line is unhooked in the back of the unit. Please advise if this is my issue. All switches have power to the solenoid but no reaction from the solenoid, does it need to be grounded? All I can find online is a part manual, I'm in search of an actually service manual that explains how each circuit works to I can stop chasing wires. Please advise where I can find one..

Thank you for all your help

*** UPDATE*** found that the front grounding blocks were bad, Ran complete new ground wire to center grounding block and have no issue with lights but still no start, does start solenoid need to be ground?
tek5378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 CC Carryall 272 - pedal start - no start

Grounds are every bit as important as power feeds. You can never have a complete circuit without both.

I’d advise following a wiring diagram and checking to make sure everything is going where it should. Then trace down what is missing. Don’t circumvent anything and just run ground to a solenoid or switch or something. Make it work the way it is supposed to or you can create far more problems than you solve and it will never be quite right.

There’s nothing wrong with grounding to the frame in a gas golf cart. Just make sure the negative battery terminal has a solid frame ground as well.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:30 PM   #3
tek5378
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the information. I have been using the wiring diagram from the parts book (don't really care about it, would rather have a service book diagram explaining of each circuit. Guess being a Deere mechanic for so long, I have gotten spoiled.. lol

I have found that most of the grounds have been cut by the prior owner/mechanic. I have reconnected them to the harness with good solid soldering and heat shrinking the corrected points. The micro-switch on the shifting point. The question now is, does this machine start from the key switch or does it start from the gas pedal? Also, what does the blue line from the key switch to the start solenoid do? is it an activator for cranking? and if that is so, the green wire from the shift switch should be a negative connection in neutral then in gear? Please advise... Oh, I had to run a new ground line from the front area of the machine due to the ground block missing and then the other block on the negative wasn't working correctly, it was shorted, found this out after ohming it out.

Any more help would make this machine run and leave my shop....lol
Old 06-05-2022, 09:25 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...p?t=926&page=2

Try that diagram.

If it’s pedal start that diagram should be pretty close.
The blue wire at the solenoid should show 12v when the key is turned on.
The orange wire at the solenoid should show ground when the key switch is on, the pedal is depressed, and the shifter is in forward or reverse position
Old 06-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #5
tek5378
Not Yet Wild

Let me ask you this question, on the small post of the starter solenoid, I have a diode that goes between them. When you hold the key switch in crank position the Blue line get very hot and pops the 15 amp fuse. Know electrical theory plus negitive together makes a dead short. This diode connects the grown to from micro switch to the blue activating. What if I remove it and try. My theory is it will start right up.. what is your input?
Old 06-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If your key has a “crank” position to start the motor then it’s not pedal start. That diagram won’t work.

I’ve never personal owned a key start carryall but there’s others here that have more experience with those than I do. If it was in front of me I’m sure I could sort it out pretty quickly but since I’ve never worked on one of those myself, I don’t want to give wrong advice as per the wiring, diode, etc.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:16 PM   #7
tek5378
Not Yet Wild

Ok, got the unit to start by the key, had to replace the coil due to giving it power when it should have it. It starts and runs fine now, the issue is now, when I turn the key off the motor won't die, you have to use the choke to kill the motor. I have installed a new rev limiter too. How does the rev limiter actually work, is it ground active or does it have to have power to it ?
Old 06-12-2022, 09:19 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Still need to know for sure if it is key start or pedal start. That makes a difference.

As for the rev limiter, it doesn’t work on either power or ground.

The ignition coil has a kill circuit on it. When a ground is applied to this kill wire, it shorts the coil to ground and kills the spark. The kill circuit on the ignition coil actually will produce a signal while the engine is running and the rev limiter simply “watches” that signal. When it gets out of the specified range (revs too high) it then grounds that circuit out, killing spark temporarily to slow the engine rpm down. Then it will open back up and “release” the ground on that wire and the plug will start firing again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car