lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2022, 05:05 PM   #21
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lithium battery suddenly reverse polarity and changed voltage!

Hi Victor,

Those batteries just needed balancing, they weren’t unsafe.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2022, 05:16 PM   #22
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just MHO, but judging from the looks of everything else on that cart, the obvious rusting and corrosion, and electrical connections that did not appear to be maintained at all, I think getting your money back was the right move.

Buy something that doesn't look like it's been underwater for a few years.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:30 PM   #23
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

A well maintained used cart should be very clean - an obvious thing to do if you want to sell a cart is to clean it up!
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #24
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Those particular batteries were not dangerous at all. The way it was wired was pretty dangerous though. It could’ve been fixed but it may not be a bad idea now for you to get something cleaner…
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:17 PM   #25
Victor B
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Just MHO, but judging from the looks of everything else on that cart, the obvious rusting and corrosion, and electrical connections that did not appear to be maintained at all, I think getting your money back was the right move.

Buy something that doesn't look like it's been underwater for a few years.
It was dirty because it had not been used for a while, but I didn't know about it being at the bottom of a lake. It belongs to a French mechanical engineer. I would have thought he would have known what he was doing, but obviously not.

Regardless, all the comments on here made me uneasy about keeping it. Especially the part about how to charge it. It only had the original EZgo charger for lead-acid batteries. A new charge for Lithium was gonna run like $300, and Allied was not returning my phone calls.

One of the selling points to me by the owner was the Lithium batteries which he claimed cost him $1500 and had a 10-year warranty. But then I find out the cart is wired wrong, it did not come with the proper charger for the batteries, and one of the batteries is failing, and the manufacturer is not taking calls. Yeah, time to bail. The guy said he had another buyer if I decided I did not want it, so I took him up on that offer.
Victor B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 10:47 PM   #26
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think you made the right decision. I don't like Allied batteries and good luck getting them to honor their ?? 10 year warranty. Good lithium packs have a BMS that keeps the whole pack in balance. The Allied batteries have separate BMS per 12V and they have no way to keep all of them in balance. Yes they work but far from an ideal solution.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:38 AM   #27
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Definitely the right move. Lithium batteries have different charge requirements than lead acid. 2 bad things about the seller are obvious and you chose the best solution.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:25 PM   #28
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor B View Post
It was dirty because it had not been used for a while, but I didn't know about it being at the bottom of a lake. It belongs to a French mechanical engineer. I would have thought he would have known what he was doing, but obviously not.

Regardless, all the comments on here made me uneasy about keeping it. Especially the part about how to charge it. It only had the original EZgo charger for lead-acid batteries. A new charge for Lithium was gonna run like $300, and Allied was not returning my phone calls.

One of the selling points to me by the owner was the Lithium batteries which he claimed cost him $1500 and had a 10-year warranty. But then I find out the cart is wired wrong, it did not come with the proper charger for the batteries, and one of the batteries is failing, and the manufacturer is not taking calls. Yeah, time to bail. The guy said he had another buyer if I decided I did not want it, so I took him up on that offer.
One look at the battery compartment that shows corrosion…not rust…corrosion…along with the apparent silt settlement on the battery cables, and an apparent silt deposit in the seat ledge leads me to believe it was in a flood.

The French are good at wine & crepes…other than that the words “French” and “Engineer” in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:46 PM   #29
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I do like Allied lithiums, but charging them with a FLA charger is a terrible idea. Hopefully the seller knows that.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:02 PM   #30
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with the Allied lithiums, just that it’s a bad idea to use 12v lithium batteries of any brand in a cart. Also that general purpose lithium batteries like those Allied won’t have the high current demand capability of a cart specific battery.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO