lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2022, 05:14 PM   #1
Miller6323
Not Yet Wild

Default Start/Stop switch or solenoid

So today my g2 just stopped. When you press the pedal it does nothing. If I jump the solenoid while pressing the pedal it will start and run like it should. How do I know if it's the solenoid or the pedal switch?
Miller6323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2022, 05:19 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Start/Stop switch or solenoid

That circuit runs from the battery to the key switch to the pedal switch and then finally to the solenoid.

Use a meter. Verify you have 12 volts on both wires at the key switch when it is turned on. If so, check the pedal switch. Leave the key switch turned on. One wire at the pedal should always have 12v (with key on) and the other wire should show 12v when you press the pedal down.

If that’s good, check the solenoid small wire. It should show 12v with key on, pedal down. The other small solenoid wire should always show ground.

If all checks out good, replace the solenoid.

If it does not check out good, then replace the failed part upstream from the solenoid
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:32 PM   #3
Miller6323
Not Yet Wild

Tested everything up to the solenoid and what I've found is that it's getting power but not completing the circuit. Also it's only getting around 10v volts and I'm getting 12.5 at the key? What could cause the voltage drop?
Old 10-18-2022, 07:44 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Does the other side of the solenoid have ground?

If you manually run a jumper wire to power and ground on the small terminals does it energize and start spinning the engine?

Sounds like the solenoid has failed
Old 10-19-2022, 08:39 AM   #5
Miller6323
Not Yet Wild

Yeah if you jump the solenoid it runs so the solenoid is the failure point. I was wondering about only getting 10 volts to the solenoid from the key switch. At the key it's showing 12.5. Alot of drop over a foot.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:08 AM   #6
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller6323 View Post
Yeah if you jump the solenoid it runs so the solenoid is the failure point. I was wondering about only getting 10 volts to the solenoid from the key switch. At the key it's showing 12.5. Alot of drop over a foot.
Did you check it with the wire disconnected and see that drop or across the coil?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:51 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If the coil is shorted it can draw excessive current and basically turn the wire into a big resistor at that point, and cause a couple volt drop. I wouldn’t worry about the drop unless it’s still there with a new solenoid. It’s easy enough to do a voltage drop test and see where the other 2 volts are going
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha