lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2023, 11:00 PM   #11
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Extreme Team Battery Troubleshooting

Sounds to me like you have a bad charger. If it is one of the cheap Chinese chargers it is probably the 120/240 voltage selector switch. I've had the charger fail twice. Both times it was the selector sw. Since I didn't ever plan on using 220v I just soldered the switch wires together.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2023, 11:11 AM   #12
PKViking30
Not Yet Wild

Update

I uninstalled the original charger from the cart and opened the back plate to reveal the internals. I guess to make these things "waterproof" they fill the entire cavity with a rubber-like substance (kinda like filling it with wax). I noticed when removing the cover there was some fluid (oil-like) and a small circle with a + shape stuck to the inside of the cover made out of the same rubber substance. On closer inspection, right in the center, there was a capacitor with a bulge and some of the same fluid around the top. I guess its a faulty cap that pushed thru the rubber and that was the small circle with + shape on the shield I noticed. I doubt its worth the headache of removing that rubber just to replace the caps and not sure how safe it would be either.

Instead I used the link @jasonojordan provided to purchase a replacement charger and it seems all is well again with the battery. I was able to charge it back up to 100% last night. Thanks again Jason.

Just wanted to say thanks again for anyone who replied and assisted. Hopefully, any other Extreme Team pack owners can add to this thread if and when they experience an issue.
PKViking30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:55 AM   #13
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Glad you are back up and going. Happy Carting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKViking30 View Post
Update

I uninstalled the original charger from the cart and opened the back plate to reveal the internals. I guess to make these things "waterproof" they fill the entire cavity with a rubber-like substance (kinda like filling it with wax). I noticed when removing the cover there was some fluid (oil-like) and a small circle with a + shape stuck to the inside of the cover made out of the same rubber substance. On closer inspection, right in the center, there was a capacitor with a bulge and some of the same fluid around the top. I guess its a faulty cap that pushed thru the rubber and that was the small circle with + shape on the shield I noticed. I doubt its worth the headache of removing that rubber just to replace the caps and not sure how safe it would be either.

Instead I used the link @jasonojordan provided to purchase a replacement charger and it seems all is well again with the battery. I was able to charge it back up to 100% last night. Thanks again Jason.

Just wanted to say thanks again for anyone who replied and assisted. Hopefully, any other Extreme Team pack owners can add to this thread if and when they experience an issue.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:43 PM   #14
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Just wanted to say thank you for providing the link to a quality lithium charger. My charger just went out from my Extreme Team Kit. Many thanks!
MYCART8A4RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:24 AM   #15
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYCART8A4RE View Post
Just wanted to say thank you for providing the link to a quality lithium charger. My charger just went out from my Extreme Team Kit. Many thanks!
No problem. I posted it in the other ET battery issue thread as well.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 04:50 PM   #16
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Hey guys, I recieved the charger from the link provided here and plan to get it installed tomorrow. I have a question on the wiring if somone wouldn't mind helping this obvious non electrician here . The onboard charger I got with my ET lithium kit had the power wire with just two wires coming out that connect to the charging port wires on my club car. This new charger has a regular AC outlet plug on it so I need to cut it off and wire it to the back of the charging port but once I cut it, it will expose 3 wires, the hot, neutral and the earth ground (sorry for stating the obvious), do I just tape up the ground wire? Sorry if this seems silly. I appreciate any help offered!
Old 05-12-2023, 05:41 PM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

No. You should use a three wire grounded connection to your charger's AC. Don't cut the ground - that is a shock hazard!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:21 PM   #18
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

I appreciate the response. My last charger, waterproof onboard charger, that came with my lithium kit had a power cable coming out that only had two wires coming out of it. They're are only these two wires connected to the back of my charging port that also only had two available wires (there is a 3rd blue wire but this runs somewhere else. This new charger has a regular ac power plug on the power cable. I want to install it onboard to the back of the charging port like my previous charger in order to use the cable that came with my lithium kit (factory club car charger port to 115v ac power plug). To do so I would have to cut the ac plug off the cable from the new charger to connect to the back of my charge port. Can I not do this? I attached pics of how my current (failed) charger is wired in. Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230512_190357.jpg (202.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230512_191405.jpg (282.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-12-2023, 06:34 PM   #19
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
No. You should use a three wire grounded connection to your charger's AC. Don't cut the ground - that is a shock hazard!
I hope I'm not being confusing, my previous charger only had two power input wires and the back of my club car charge port only had two wires available for connection. I was connected to these with great results for a little over a year before my charger failed. I'm trying to install a new charger that has a regular ac plug on it as opposed to the previous charger where the power wire was just a two wire offering designed to connect to the back of the factory charge port. Can I hook up the new charger to the back of my factory charge port like the previous charger? They are/were both water proof design and appear to be almost identical other than the power input cable. I hope this helps!
Old 05-12-2023, 08:49 PM   #20
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Unless the charger is specifically designed for a two wire power cord, it should be properly grounded. If it has a three wire cord, then it is intended to be grounded for safety. You can replace the charge port with one designed for a 3 wire AC cord. That is what the drop-in Lithium systems that I have installed come with when you mount the charger onboard. The normal charge port is not designed to be an AC power port. It is designed to carry the DC charge current from a remotely located charger.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, bms, extreme, troubleshooting, warranty
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car