lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2023, 07:54 PM   #1
Btogcowner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO RXV error code “Main Contactor Did Not Close”

Periodically I am getting a 1206AC-5201 “Main Contactor Did Not Close” or “Main Contactor Welded” fault code on my 2016 RXV. I haven’t figured out a method to connect it. Sometimes it will correct itself or if I have altered any of the controller settings I will Restore an original .cpf file. This doesn’t always work. It eventually works again. Ideas on a solution or where to further investigate please?
Btogcowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2023, 03:45 AM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO RXV error code “Main Contactor Did Not Close”

Have you tried just putting in a new solenoid to see if your problem goes away? Also check to make sure all the connections are tight on the solenoid.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:23 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have helped fix a couple RXV's and both had a failing solenoid. They would run fine and then sometimes not.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 01:58 PM   #4
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Sometimes a couple taps with a screw driver on the contactor will help. Not a permanent fix for a worn out contactor tho.
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:53 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Once the solenoid starts acting up, you don't want to fool with it because the cart can stop suddenly when at speed which can result in injury. The Ebrake locks up if the solenoid opens while driving.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:23 PM   #6
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

It can also weld which can EOL a controller. Just had to replace a dead controller on one where the owner put an Amazon 48V solenoid on it, and it was stuck closed, causing full battery pack voltage to always be sent to the controller until a capacitor gave way.

The E-brake locks up for any fault, no matter how insignificant. Not just for a bad solenoid. That's how these ornery mules convey errors to the owner--by attempting to send him or her through the windshield.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:10 PM   #7
Btogcowner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have replaced the solenoid. Same symptoms and error codes as before. I’m thinking of getting a Navitas controller. Not sure what else to do. A new Curtis is just about as much.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:20 AM   #8
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Inspect the wiring harness make sure no cut that might be shorting or touching the frame. Then grab the multimeter and measure volts on the contactor coil during power up. If you see no volts then its probably a wiring or controller issue
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:15 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The code is a definite solenoid failure code. The controller is sending the signal for the solenoid to close and it's not doing so within a specific timeout period (%/d Milliseconds) and is failing the Power On Self Test (POST) and locking the car out and setting that code.

The Curtis RXVs also use a specific 36V solenoid (Thrombetta) not a 48V one. Even though it's a 48V car it uses a 36V solenoid.

There is a possibility that the control circuit that sends the solenoid signal is failed, but you usually get a 'Main Driver Off/Main Driver OC' fault.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:47 AM   #10
Btogcowner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I replace the 36 V solenoid with a 48 V solenoid, but my symptoms are relatively the same. If anything things have gotten a little better. The system resets itself and will work again after a short period of being off.Does that give anyone any further thoughts? Thanks

Tags
controller, diagnostic, ezgo rxv, fault
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO