lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
jorton1970
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 Marathon (Engine and differetial change)

I'm new to the site so I hope I can get some good info.
I have a 91 ezgo (elec.) I pulled the rear end and battery cage out of and replace the rearend with a 2000 gas rearend with some mods.I have a 13Hp briggs engine that turns ccw.My question is: does it matter which way the shaft on the rearend turns for Fwd or Rev? I know the ratio is a little different , I believe. But didn't know if it would hurt it or not.
jorton1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: 91 Marathon (Engine and differetial change)

Welcome to BGW!

CCW should be right for the rear end.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
jorton1970
Not Yet Wild

I didn't know which way that rearend turned since it had the Fwd/Rev lever on the rearend . Just didn't know if it would hurt it to go in the other direction.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
jorton1970
Not Yet Wild

I have another question . What purpose does the driven clutch do on the rearend? Does it multiply the speed of the drive clutch?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton1970 View Post
I have another question . What purpose does the driven clutch do on the rearend? Does it multiply the speed of the drive clutch?
Yes it constantly changes your drive ratio. As the front pully closes in the rear pully opens up at the same time causing a differant gear ration as the cart speeds up. Like an auto tranny, then as the cart slows down as going up a hill the rear will close up slowing down the engine therefore causing the front one to close up causeing a lower ratio. Hope I explained that right?
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
jorton1970
Not Yet Wild

Thats what I was thinking but wanted to make sure from someone that knew.I appriciate the help.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Something you might consider if your not appossed to a 2 cycle engine. A guy in the yamaha section adapted a yamaha snow mobile engine to his G1 and was able to run the engine backwards for reverse. I need to go find the thread again as I think it was a "bravo" engine. The G1 clutch fit also. just an idea as the 2pg is a japanese engune also and just maybe it would work for an ezgo. I wonder if anyone has looked into this?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here it is but doesn't look like he has updated this for a couple months.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...lockin-g1.html
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcrlr View Post
Yes it constantly changes your drive ratio. As the front pully closes in the rear pully opens up at the same time causing a differant gear ration as the cart speeds up. Like an auto tranny, then as the cart slows down as going up a hill the rear will close up slowing down the engine therefore causing the front one to close up causeing a lower ratio. Hope I explained that right?
Great explanation.

I have a 92 Marathon that has been acting up. When we got it a bit over a year ago, bone stock, we did all the typical mods, bigger tires, backin the governor off, clutch springs, etc. I ended up with a cart that did 23 or 24 mph. Not bad for something built almost 20 yrs ago to do 12 mph!

Or so I thought. After a year or so of this, something in the rear started acting up. Now top speed is about 13-14 mph. It would shudder or bump as it slows down or speeds up. The engine isn't missing at all, and the brakes aren't dragging. I took the driven clutch apart to check it out, buttons were fine, CPP spring was fine. Belt is fine. Looking at where the belt wears on the shivs & it makes me wonder if their fully engaging right.

I've thought about doing an engine upgrade. This one isn't totally without problems, leaks a bit of oil, plus it's the whopping 9hp that really packs some punch The clone honda & CPP clutch is probably what I need to get off my asss & do. Or thought about a Honda 3 wheeler engine & 5 speed transaxle. Even test rode a 3 wheeler on Sunday. Either engine could make this thing a lot of fun. Need to pull the danm trigger.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO