lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
colochris
Not Yet Wild

Default Radio install = Does it REALLY hurt ride time?

Hi I am looking to add a radio to my 86 marathon. Would a 12 volt radio really kill my 6 volt batteries on a converter? I mean say you play a round of golf and can drive for say 4 hours, would the radio make it only drive 2?

Thank you for all advice.

Chris
colochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Radio install = Does it REALLY hurt ride time?

It depends on how much current the "Radio" draws.

Some of the audio systems draw 40A (or more) at 12V, which would be about 15A at 36V if the voltage reducer was highly efficient, and most aren't.

The answer is: Yes it will reduce run-time. How much it reduces it depends on how much current the audio system draws.

You can calculate the Amp-Hours used by your cart uses by measuring the pack voltage before and after a round of golf. The difference in the percent State of charge time the Amp-hour rating of your batteries will be the Amp-Hours used.

The take the Amps used by the audio system from the spec sheet and multiply it by the hours elapsed for the above round of golf and divide that by the Amp-hour rating of your battery pack

Subtract that percentage for the State of Charge, and you'll have a pretty good idea what your battery pack SoC will be after a typical round of golf with the radio on.

If the audio system isn't too Amp hungry, your battery pack will be slightly more discharged, but you'll probably not have to push cart back to clubhouse.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
colochris
Not Yet Wild

hmm, so it does seem like an individual battery is best. Would you go with a 12 volt lawn mower battery or get a full sized car one?

Thanks so much for your input as you are very educated about this.

Chris
colochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by colochris View Post
Hi I am looking to add a radio to my 86 marathon. Would a 12 volt radio really kill my 6 volt batteries on a converter? I mean say you play a round of golf and can drive for say 4 hours, would the radio make it only drive 2?

Thank you for all advice.

Chris
If you're playing golf, I know you aren't running a high power stereo! Using a voltage converter a standard radio played at " golf course " volume will be negligible on your run time. A decent voltage converter will be pretty efficient ( 75 - 80 % ), the radio will draw around 5 - 8amps, so you might lose a ½ mile off of your total capacity.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by colochris View Post
hmm, so it does seem like an individual battery is best. Would you go with a 12 volt lawn mower battery or get a full sized car one?

Thanks so much for your input as you are very educated about this.

Chris
You want the same type battery your buggy uses; deep cycle. A lawn mower or car battery is meant to be used once for cranking, then is recharged. You want a battery that is going to be used continuously, like a trolling motor battery.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

I use a marine deep cycle for my accessories. Work really well for me.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Where do you put that extra deep cycle battery. My CC DS has no extra room, (6/8V batteries already)?
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

If you want tunes on the course and are worried about battery life go with this:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...n-recieve.html

Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Teafreak35
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I installed headlights, tail lights and super bright led fog lights on my cart and found that having them on the cart batteries substantially affected performance. I remedied this by purchasing a deep cycle 12 volt battery. I installed a battery tray on the driver's side of the cart where the charger used to be stored. The battery fits perfectly, just touching the back of the charger connector inside the box. Now, I can run in the woods for hours with all my lights glaring and no degredation in power. I also added a 12 volt power port on the dash, connected to this battery. I suggest putting all accessories on a seperate 12 volt battery...best thing I ever did for my cart.
Teafreak35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
dawgn86
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Tea

can you charge your seperate 12v batter via the power port on your dash?
dawgn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO