lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Precedent Hesitation/Diminishing power (Minneapolis Area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnmsgst View Post
Load testers are apparently designed to test 6 and 12 volt battteries only - I have 8 volt battereis, so I bought this multi tester: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

My plan is to charge the cart fully, test all batteries and the pack after fully charged and record voltages, and then test the pack and individual batteries while going uphill and report back to the experts such as yourselves and Scotty B. Is this what I should be doing?
Yes. And stop by Radio Shack and pick up banana clip ends instead of the probe ones as it will be alot easier to attach them to the batteries when doing a load test.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Hoof Hearted
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnmsgst View Post
Load testers are apparently designed to test 6 and 12 volt battteries only - I have 8 volt battereis, so I bought this multi tester: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

My plan is to charge the cart fully, test all batteries and the pack after fully charged and record voltages, and then test the pack and individual batteries while going uphill and report back to the experts such as yourselves and Scotty B. Is this what I should be doing?
Most "multi" testers will not place a load on the batteries.......
So you will have to place them in a load position like "going uphill" with that.

The 6/12 volt meter type load testers have two scales, 6 and 12 volt, but they show good and bad. Most folks test the 8 volts in between those two scales. take a good look at the image results at Amazon when you search for battery load tester, you can zoom in on the scales to see what I'm talking about.

The "uphill" test is a PITA when you can just clamp the tester on and flip a switch on it (or push a button) to get a good consistant load. Also if you have 6 batteries and you charge them over noght then go find a hill and run up it 6 times testing, the total charge will be down quite a bit by your 6th run........
Hoof Hearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
Dav1774
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You could pick up a hydrometer to check each cell, there like 12 bucks.
Dav1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
Most "multi" testers will not place a load on the batteries.......
So you will have to place them in a load position like "going uphill" with that.

The 6/12 volt meter type load testers have two scales, 6 and 12 volt, but they show good and bad. Most folks test the 8 volts in between those two scales. take a good look at the image results at Amazon when you search for battery load tester, you can zoom in on the scales to see what I'm talking about.

The "uphill" test is a PITA when you can just clamp the tester on and flip a switch on it (or push a button) to get a good consistant load. Also if you have 6 batteries and you charge them over noght then go find a hill and run up it 6 times testing, the total charge will be down quite a bit by your 6th run........
If I remember right, you will have to disconnect the battery cables from each battery to get a true load test on each battery individually when using a load tester. If you leave the pack connected it can draw some from the neighboring battery/s and won't be a true reading.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, hesitatation, power
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car