lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Traveling with golf cart & camper

Here is one solution. They are a site sponsor. I think I have seen some home made solutions also. Check the club car section also.

http://xt-innovations.com/roofhinge/...oof_hinge.html
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

2manytoyz, I used to have about the same setup except my camper was 7500lbs empty. I didn't have the cart then but pulling a loaded camper that big with a F150 was pushing it. I was under the weight limit but I had some idiot pull out in front of me on a trip. I had both feet on the brakes with all 4 wheels on the truck chirping, the camper tires locked and was still sliding. Not a fun moment. Now I drive a F250 FX4 crew and weight is no longer an issue..

I guess my point is please watch your weights carefully.

Is that cart electric or gas ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
Outlawcart
Getting Wild

That is pretty cool. I'll keep that set up in mind.
Outlawcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
2manytoyz, I used to have about the same setup except my camper was 7500lbs empty. I didn't have the cart then but pulling a loaded camper that big with a F150 was pushing it. I was under the weight limit but I had some idiot pull out in front of me on a trip. I had both feet on the brakes with all 4 wheels on the truck chirping, the camper tires locked and was still sliding. Not a fun moment. Now I drive a F250 FX4 crew and weight is no longer an issue..

I guess my point is please watch your weights carefully.

Is that cart electric or gas ?
I suspect your F150 was a pre-2009 model. That's when there was a major change. All new chassis, running gear, etc.

A while back, Ford put some videos online, showing how their truck compares to the competition.

1000 lb payload in the back of the trucks...

The truck even has asymmetric braking if the trailer (or truck) begins to sway:

Cart is electric. I'm about 1/2 the bed capacity (over 1800#s), and a little less than the tow capacity (11,100 lbs). Weight not an issue.

And F150s can be had in many flavors. Some have a very low tow capacity. My F150 actually has a higher tow capacity than my BIL's F350. But his truck has a higher payload capacity. Consequently, his truck is a better choice for a 5th wheel trailer due to their high pin weight.
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Yeah, mine was a 2001 and did not have the capacity they do today. I also do not know how they determine weights like I would think the tow capacity would be overall so if you had 1000lbs in the bed that would take away from the total.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Outlawcart
Getting Wild

Quote:
Yeah, mine was a 2001 and did not have the capacity they do today. I also do not know how they determine weights like I would think the tow capacity would be overall so if you had 1000lbs in the bed that would take away from the total.
I believe the gross limit and also the tongue weight of the trailer can play a part.

In other words you have a 9500lb trailer and you are under your towing capacity that part is ok.
If you have a 1000lb payload capacity and your cart weighs in at 850lbs then you only have 150lbs left for a tongue weight on the trailer which is not very much at all.

At least the way I understand it.

Some distribution hitches might help a bit on this rear axle weight.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
No doubt adding payload will reduce the overall tow capacity. I don't think any manufacturer will give you an actual chart showing how they interact. But in my case, I'm running about half capacity on payload and tow capacity. Also using a weight distributing hitch.

One more goodie included as standard equipment:

I would have expected the truck to feel top heavy, but it didn't. More stable than conversion vans I've owned.

Someday I may get a toy hauler trailer, but this setup works well for now.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawcart View Post
I believe the gross limit and also the tongue weight of the trailer can play a part.

In other words you have a 9500lb trailer and you are under your towing capacity that part is ok.
If you have a 1000lb payload capacity and your cart weighs in at 850lbs then you only have 150lbs left for a tongue weight on the trailer which is not very much at all.

At least the way I understand it.

Some distribution hitches might help a bit on this rear axle weight.
A weight distributing hitch is a must with the setup I'm using. Mine is an Equalizer hitch.

My truck came with a Class IV hitch. Here's the rating of the hitch itself:

All hitched up and loaded, the gap between the fenders and tires on the truck are 6.25" on the front, 6.0" on the back. Almost level. I can adjust the W/D hitch to make it perfectly level, but that's close enough for me.

For anyone considering doing this, here's the instructions for the W/D hitch:

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/eq...anual_0111.pdf
Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's the Harbor Freight jack that I used to get the cart off the ramps once it was loaded.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Outlawcart
Getting Wild

Pretty neat idea with the jack!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO