lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Ericjl74
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha Steering Wheel removal assistance

What a task. I am trying to switch out the steering wheel on a G16 Yamaha. Couldn't get it off, read all over the internet and finally took several tips-I sawed the wheel off. Not of course there is another problem. How in the hell do you get this piece off? I have used a puller as advised by another, it just bent the puller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-11.JPG (101.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo-10.JPG (114.1 KB, 0 views)
Ericjl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha Steering Wheel removal assistance

Ouch looks like you had a struggle for sure. I replaced that bushing right below the part that is stuck on your cart. My technique was to loosen the nut but not remove it. I put my feet on the firewall area and my knees under the wheel with a lot of pressure while pulling with one hand and a 5 lbs dead blow mallet strike from underneath. Took about 3 good blows but it broke free. If the nut would have been completely taken off the force of me pulling on the wheel would cause serious injury to the face when the wheel breaks free. I would suggest heating that metal piece with a torch then clamp on some vice grips and give it a whack with a hammer. Make sure your hitting away from you incase the heated parted were to fly off and hit you. You will probably need a new 4$ bushing though I'm sure the heat will melt it. Good luck.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
MattMPA
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha Steering Wheel removal assistance

Maybe a gear puller?

When I pulled mine...I used a steering wheel puller. I drilled holes through the spokes, then backed up the puller's nuts with big washers. I actually wound up drilling two sets as the wheel was so stuck on it was distorting the plastic.
MattMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Ericjl74
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: Yamaha Steering Wheel removal assistance

Well, it finally came off! I bent two gear pullers and took them both back to Oreillys. The guy behind the counter asked me if I wanted to rent a puller from them. It was a three pronged deal, real thick and strong gauge. He said it is 26 bucks, but if I had it back by the end of the day, no charge. I brought it home and no more than two turns "pop" it came off! The job is done and hopefully never have to do another one like that! So my advice, saw the ******* off (like a guy on the youtube video) and get the thick three pronged puller. Finally 48 hours later the job is done! Thanks for feedback. appreciate.
Ericjl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha