lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PowerWise 36 Volt Charger Repair or Replace?

Sounds like your charger is working okay and the voltage drops on the cables aren't high enough to account for the batteries only charging to 90%.
(5 x 0.004 = 0.02V)

The ~18 month old T-105 batteries that were in my cart when I got it, would only charge to 85% SoC.
I got them charging to 95% SoC in a couple weeks by repeatedly charging them while they were "fully" charged.
I connected the charger no matter how short the ride was and would occasionally, restart a charge whenever I walked by the cart and they continued to improve over the next couple months.

Then I switched to a charger that did float charging after the regular charge cycle ended and they were charging to 100% when I upgraded to 42V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
RebelStryker
Not Yet Wild

I will keep charging mine as well as I think that will help. It is getting fairly cold here now (27 this morning). The pack measured 37.55 this morning after about 10 hours rest. That may be as good as it gets until we warm up again.
RebelStryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelStryker View Post
I will keep charging mine as well as I think that will help. It is getting fairly cold here now (27 this morning). The pack measured 37.55 this morning after about 10 hours rest. That may be as good as it gets until we warm up again.
AT-Rest battery voltage doesn't change very much with temperature, it is the storage capacity.

At 30°F a T-105 will be a 170AH battery rather than a 225AH battery, but the At-Rest voltage when fully charged will still be around 38.2V for a 36V pack.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
RebelStryker
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
AT-Rest battery voltage doesn't change very much with temperature, it is the storage capacity.

At 30°F a T-105 will be a 170AH battery rather than a 225AH battery, but the At-Rest voltage when fully charged will still be around 38.2V for a 36V pack.
Sorry. Typo. That should have been 38.55 that I measured this morning. My battery analyzer shows all batteries at 100% health, so I'm hoping that the repeated charging has "fixed" my problem.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Glad to hear it worked for you also.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #16
RebelStryker
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Glad to hear it worked for you also.
Me, too! I took another voltage measurement last evening - about 20 hrs or so off of the charger - and read 38.34 volts. I'm satisfied that my batteries are in good shape.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
luckycart
Not Yet Wild

Morning all.
I have a powerwise charger i just bought and had diodes replaced and fuse, the chargrer switches on and of quickly and then just idles at 4 or 5 amps and doesnt switch of, the current going to betteries is 46v then,its a 36v system, the other charger i have when pluged in just charges for few seconds the turns of, how can i test the powerwise one
luckycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #18
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Sounds like you may have a bad battery. Check battery voltages while on charge. Look for one thats way higher than the rest. (like 2 or more volts higher than the others). Also , may wanna check capacitor in charger. Step 1- UNPLUG CHARGER, and remove charger cover. Step 2- with a screwdriver, discharge capacitor by touching both terminals at same time with screwdriver. (round or oval canister) Step 3- remove wires from capacitor Step 4- with voltmeter set to 20k Ohms, touch the terminals, it should start at zero and slowly increase until it maxes out meter. If it does anything else, its bad. Only replace with matching value capacitor, as it is a "tuning" device, any other value will result in improper charger operation (like only offering 4 amps).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO