lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #21
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: precedent axle bearing cannot be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
Tahoe, whats up with the oil seal "adaptor"?

Is this something I need, when I replace the oil seal? What is that number, and where can I get one?

I can't believe club car started using parts, but won't publish the part number??
. . . I don't see any "adapter" in the parts list for the 2012 Precedent . . . which part number is it in the below pic?

Attachment 98928
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #22
jeffg1010
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does anyone know if this same bearing situation applies to an 06 Precedent. Mine is making a noise in the axle as well. Here is a video of it with both wheels and drums removed

http://s213.photobucket.com/user/jef...shbwo.mp4.html
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #23
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg1010 View Post
Does anyone know if this same bearing situation applies to an 06 Precedent. Mine is making a noise in the axle as well. Here is a video of it with both wheels and drums removed

THAT, is a nasty sounding drivetrain. Did you buy it this way, did this just start happening, and how tall was the curb you jumped?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #24
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

On the Precedents I have rebuilt from frame up, the bearings appear to be the same on the older models (08 and older) as the newer (08.5 and up).

Just my experience.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #25
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:

I think the noise is the motor bearing and not the outer axle bearing. Hold one side with your hand and run the car. It'll hold still and allow the other side to spin. If the noise stops, you'll know it's an axle bearing. If it continues, you either have bad axle bearings on both sides or a motor bearing. Motor bearing failure is much more common than axle bearing failure.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #26
jeffg1010
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I think the noise is the motor bearing and not the outer axle bearing. Hold one side with your hand and run the car. It'll hold still and allow the other side to spin. If the noise stops, you'll know it's an axle bearing. If it continues, you either have bad axle bearings on both sides or a motor bearing. Motor bearing failure is much more common than axle bearing failure.
Oh man, that sounds more complicated. But, thanks for the troubleshooting suggestions. I'll start searching threads for motor bearing fixes since I don't wanna hijack this thread. Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Is the motor bearing you are talking about. Is it the commutator bearing? Does the motor and rear end have to come out to change it?

To answer Gorno's question... I bought it this way. But, he knew it was a major issue because the price was super low... The cart looks like brand new (minus) the screamin' rearend! I'll get 'er fixed though!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #27
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: precedent axle bearing cannot be replaced?

The motor will come out without removing the rear end...there is only one bearing and its in the end of the motor furthest from the rear end. When you decide if you want to go ahead with the repairs I can offer some advice...I have done five of them so far.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #28
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #29
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Oh man, that sounds more complicated. But, thanks for the troubleshooting suggestions. I'll start searching threads for motor bearing fixes since I don't wanna hijack this thread. Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Is the motor bearing you are talking about. Is it the commutator bearing? Does the motor and rear end have to come out to change it?

To answer Gorno's question... I bought it this way. But, he knew it was a major issue because the price was super low... The cart looks like brand new (minus) the screamin' rearend! I'll get 'er fixed though!
It's beneath the motor cap on the end where the brushes are. It's much easier to replace than an axle bearing. I'd rather do 5 motor bearings than have to do one axle bearing. The axle is so long and you have to use a hydraulic press to remove it. It's very dangerous and if the press slips and the axle goes flying it can kill somebody. The motor bearing is a very simple fix. Take some pics of the motor so I can identify what kind it is and I'll help you with some advice on how to replace it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #30
jeffg1010
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
The motor will come out without removing the rear end...there is only one bearing and its in the end of the motor furthest from the rear end. When you decide if you want to go ahead with the repairs I can offer some advice...I have done five of them so far.
I jacked it up and saw there is a lot of room there to work. So, yep... I am going ahead with the repair, but to keep from hijacking this thread, here is a link back to my thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
It's beneath the motor cap on the end where the brushes are. It's much easier to replace than an axle bearing. I'd rather do 5 motor bearings than have to do one axle bearing. The axle is so long and you have to use a hydraulic press to remove it. It's very dangerous and if the press slips and the axle goes flying it can kill somebody. The motor bearing is a very simple fix. Take some pics of the motor so I can identify what kind it is and I'll help you with some advice on how to replace it.
Thanks Tahoe. Since we are drifting away from the OP's subject of axle bearings, I have placed the photos in another thread here on the forum. You can find them here. I really appreciate everyone's help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car