lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RXV had issues starting

I bought my RXV new and have been seeing some issues in starting lately. My RXV is a gas, no mods to engine and what is happening is when I apply the gas to start the motor I hear a bit of a whine sometimes, (NO clicking) and have to switch back from reverse to forward to get it to go. Yesterday the cranking seemed to be a bit slow so I put a trickle charger on the cart (like I do during the winter months) and today she starts and goes just fine.
If I understand the charging system correctly the starter is both a starter and generator, am I correct?
I want to try and determine whether it is a battery issue or problems with the charging system. I don’t know jack when it comes to these carts and I am hoping to “do it myself” when the time comes that she no longer starts…
As a side note I did notice that my hour meter is no longer working so there is another thing to dive into this weekend while doing my oil and filter change.
NoTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV had issues starting

If your cart start when the charger is on,, the culprit is your battery....
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My Kawi motor does that from time to time. I think it just happens to land on the compression stroke of the motor. After a couple quick taps on the gas pedal it moves past it and fires up. This only happens Once a week or so of daily riding.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
vince362291
Getting Wild

just a thought going with what mcdave said is the starter belt worn or stretched my marathon was doing this after a top end rebuild (done in the cart) and with the added compression of the fresh rebuild tighend the belt starts with no problems now
vince362291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply's!
Since the overnight trickle charge the RXV has been starting better but still does sometimes need to switch back and fourth from forward to reverse.
I have not done anything to the belt (actually nothing to the cart except oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plug since new) so I think after dragging a 900 lb roller and other yard implements I will next check the belt and tighten if necessary.
Spent 5 minutes looking for an issue with the hour meter and found nothing... gonna pull out of the cart and bench text it this weekend.
NoTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO