lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
GolfingDawg
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ Power Wise QE charger- not charging properly

I have a EZ Go golf cart that I purchased new 2 years ago and the charger that came with it was a Power Wise QE charger. It has worked just fine up until the last two weeks. When I plug the charger into the cart, the green light always comes on and starts blinking to indicate that it is charging the cart. After several hours the light always went to a solid green light which indicated the charge was complete. Two weeks ago I noticed a change in how the charger worked. Now when I go to plug in the charger to the cart, the green light comes on and starts blinking. The delayed blinking of the green light is much slower than before and now it never turns to a solid green light to indicate it is fully charged. The green light never stops blinking once it is plugged into the cart so I knew something was wrong. Has anyone experienced this and what are my options here. I tested the cart by driving it around the block and it went dead after about a 1/4 mile run.
GolfingDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ Power Wise QE charger- not charging properly

What year and model of ezgo do you have? Have you tested this charger on another cart?
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Found this online in an EZ-GO training manual.

Visual LED Display Information

LED Operation Codes:
SHORT LED flash green = less than 80% charged
LONG LED flash green = more than 80% charged
SOLID LED green = 100% charged
RED LED flash = fault code

Your charger might still be ok, as flashing green seems to be a good thing. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
onebadstang08
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
Found this online in an EZ-GO training manual.

Visual LED Display Information

LED Operation Codes:
SHORT LED flash green = less than 80% charged
LONG LED flash green = more than 80% charged
SOLID LED green = 100% charged
RED LED flash = fault code

Your charger might still be ok, as flashing green seems to be a good thing. - RAY
I was thinking the same thing until he said "I tested the cart by driving it around the block and it went dead after about a 1/4 mile run."
onebadstang08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Check for any voltage increase after the charger is plugged in (if you dont have a volt meter, you should if you plan on doing any diagnosis on an electric anything). I suspect a bad battery is causing this, as it sounds like the charger is trying to work (a miracle in itself).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
GolfingDawg
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the replies. I will try the volt meter and see what happens. I just assumed it had to be a problem with the charger when the green light was acting funny. I have not tried the charger on another cart and I will try that as well. Thanks again for the help.
GolfingDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
vinper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

same charger . I am getting fault code . charger does not come on what do I check 1st
vinper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #8
rib33024

I guess your saying that when you plug the charger in to the cart it does not charge and blinks red Right?, what is the battery pack volts? they need to be above 28 to 30 volts for the charger to come on, if not above 30 volts you need to charge each battery with a car charger to bring them up high enough for the charger to turn on, if the volts are high enough for the charger to come on then try this, spray some WD40 on the contacts on the end of the plug and in the charge port on the cart that will fix the problem alot of the time. Make sure the water level is a 1/4" above the plates in the battery before you charge them use distilled water only
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
vinper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It was 35 volts , I hooked it to another charger and that one is charging . but it only shows 37 volts not going up and the charger is cranking at 25 amps. I thought voltage was to low and I am trying to get it up then will switch back to the powerwise
vinper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the second charger is working, but the batteries aren't responding.
With 25A of charging current flowing through it, the pack voltage ought to be climbing at a fairly steady pace.

Check the voltage of the individual batteries while on charge.
They should all be close to the same voltage and I suspect you have one or two that are much lower than the rest.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO