lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2021, 03:46 PM   #1
mudd11
Not Yet Wild

Default 1994 medalist won't go, solenoid clicks

New here, so Hello and thanks in advance for any help!

My 1994 medalist has recently quit (kids.....). So, in trouble shooting, I have 39.8v from battery mains, 39.8v at battery side of solenoid (large terminal), 38.5v on controller side of solenoid (large terminal), my solenoid clicks, and voltage drops as pedal is pushed when measuring between m- and b- on the controller.

What's next? Only thing I'm not positive about is, when the pedal is pushed, the voltage on the controller (large terminal) drops to zero. Is that normal?

Thanks again!!
mudd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2021, 06:28 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1994 medalist won't go, solenoid clicks

Is there a 6 pin (4 pins used) or a ten pin ( 8 pins used) connector on top of the controller?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:22 AM   #3
mudd11
Not Yet Wild

6pin with 4 pins used.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:24 AM   #4
mudd11
Not Yet Wild

Also, I just noticed an error in my original post…..what I meant to say is that when I press the pedal, the voltage on the controller side of the solenoid drops. Is that normal?
Old 09-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

After the solenoid clicks, the voltage on both large terminals should be the same. Is the battery pack voltage dropping when solenoid clicks?

What does the voltage between B- and M- do? You should have full battery pack voltage when pedal is pushed just far enough to make solenoid click and then the voltage should decrease to 0V as pedal is pushed to floor.

BTW: You have a series drive. Schematic for it is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 949536v.jpg (59.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-26-2021, 02:17 PM   #6
mudd11
Not Yet Wild

The voltage between m- and b- drops to 0 as the pedal is depressed, but starts at full voltage.

Also, as mentioned, the voltage on the controller side of the solenoid (large post) also decreases to zero after the pedal is pushed, but is about 1.5v lower than the total battery pack voltage before the pedal is pushed.

The total battery voltage is about 39.5v and does not drop as pedal is pushed when measuring between the neg and pos at the ends of the loop.

I also checked the voltage on the black lead (2nd pin) of the 6-pin connector. It reads at 14.8v and does not drop as pedal is depressed.

As far as wiring and history, I have never changed anything other than the batteries, and this is the first time I've ever taken the controller cover off in the 13 years I've had the cart, as I've never had a problem out of it.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like a bad solenoid. If it clicks and voltage at the BOTH of the two large terminals isn't at battery voltage, then it's bad.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:56 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Sounds like a bad solenoid. If it clicks and voltage at the BOTH of the two large terminals isn't at battery voltage, then it's bad.
After it clicks, both large terminal ought to have the same voltage. If not, solenoid is bad.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO