lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
02oilburner
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default What gauge extension cord for Charging

Hey Guys
What gauge extension cord should I use to reach my shed where I keep my cart? It is about 60 ft from my house so I'm sure I'll have to go with a 100' of whatever cord I purchase.
I also was wondering about charging the cart. Should I plug it in every time I get home and leave it plugged in? I use it to drop kids off at school and pick up them up, go to the pool ect. (1/2 mile each way). I plan on driving the cart periodically over the winter also. Do I need to keep the batteries warm somehow in the shed? I live in the Raleigh NC area.
Here is the charger I have. Will I need a better charger ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181015_164621.jpg (285.6 KB, 0 views)
02oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Roy Gurley
Gone Wild

Club Car

Location: Retired and live in small town of Timberlake, North Carolina
Default Re: What gauge extension cord for Charging

I would use at least a 12 ga. Heavy duty one
Roy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I agree, 12g or better (lower number = bigger), also , buy the shortest cord that will do the job.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I concur with both suggestions. 12 AWG, and can you move the buggy closer, so it only needs fifty feet?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02oilburner View Post
Hey Guys
1. What gauge extension cord should I use to reach my shed where I keep my cart? It is about 60 ft from my house so I'm sure I'll have to go with a 100' of whatever cord I purchase.

2. I also was wondering about charging the cart. Should I plug it in every time I get home and leave it plugged in? I use it to drop kids off at school and pick up them up, go to the pool ect. (1/2 mile each way).

3. I plan on driving the cart periodically over the winter also.

4.Do I need to keep the batteries warm somehow in the shed? I live in the Raleigh NC area.

5. Here is the charger I have. Will I need a better charger ?
1. The label on the charger says it draws 8A, so 16Ga will work, but 14Ga would be better and I'd probably go with 12Ga.

2. Plug in after each use. The charger shuts off automatically, so it doesn't matter if it is left plugged into cart or not.

3. Every week of so during the winter, unplug charger from cart, wait a minute or so and plug back into cart to start a new charging cycle. Lead-Acid batteries self-discharge at about 1% per day, so the max time they can sit without being recharged is about a month, but every week or so is better.

The best is to get a charger that goes into float charge after regular charge cycle ends. That keeps them at 100% SoC when cart isn't being used regularly.

4. The freezing point of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is about -80°F, but only about +4°F when 50% charged.

If you keep the batteries above 70% charged and it doesn't get below about -15°F in the Raleigh NC area, no heating is needed. On the other hand, the colder the batteries are, the less performance and storage capacity they have.

5. See answers 3 and 4 above.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

As for extension cord size and length.

The shed you keep the cart in probably cannot be moved very easily, so it might be an idea to bury an underground rated 12/3 (or larger) cable and install an outlet close to cart.

I've got a buried 10/3 cable running to my reloading shed that is only about 15' from the house, but I run an air-conditioner in the summer and an electric heater in the winter.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
As for extension cord size and length.

The shed you keep the cart in probably cannot be moved very easily, so it might be an idea to bury an underground rated 12/3 (or larger) cable and install an outlet close to cart.

I've got a buried 10/3 cable running to my reloading shed that is only about 15' from the house, but I run an air-conditioner in the summer and an electric heater in the winter.
If you plan on running a direct burial cable, think about other possible loads in the shed. Lights, AC, welder, charger, etc. Direct burial cable is kinda costly, so best to get the size right the first time. For several loads, you may want to install a breaker sub panel.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
02oilburner
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank You for the great answers everyone. Im new and appreciate all of your help.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #9
02oilburner
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I will have to ask a buddy what it would cost to do the buried Line out to the shed. Thanks again!!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #10
69Stang
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I just bought 250 feet of underground wire this weekend. It was $188 for the roll. I only need to run 120', but they only had 50', 100' and 250' rolls. The 100' roll was around $90.This was at Lowes. You could probably do the 100' roll, two outlets (1 GFCI) with the boxes for $120.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO