lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Keeping batteries warm --???

I use my cart for hunting in the northeast. It gets cold here at times and the cold really effects the batteries in a negative way.

My lithium pack is in a box that while not airtight, I may be able to keep it warmer than say.....the current temps of 12-degrees.

So....my thoughts are "what if" I mounted a compact 12-V heater to the box? I found this heater https://www.amazon.com/Constant-Temp...a-524195392761 that may work. I would connect this up to my separate 12-V marine battery that I currently use for my winch's and lights.

Any thoughts on this matter?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Keeping batteries warm --???

Is your cart parked in someplace warm when not in use, or does it sit outside?

What I'm thinking is 150W might be enough to keep warm batteries warm, but not enough to warm up cold batteries.

----------
The heater will draw about 13A, you need your wench for safety reasons on the return trip and the 12V FLA battery is adversely effected by cold also and only has about 50% of rated capacity at 0°F.

-----------

Do Lithium batteries outgas? If not, a more airtight enclosure could be built.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Is your cart parked in someplace warm when not in use, or does it sit outside?

My cart sits in an heated garage when not in use.

What I'm thinking is 150W might be enough to keep warm batteries warm, but not enough to warm up cold batteries.

Agree. But it may keep 'em from dropping to the low 30 degree mark and affecting their performance.

----------
The heater will draw about 13A, you need your wench for safety reasons on the return trip and the 12V FLA battery is adversely effected by cold also and only has about 50% of rated capacity at 0°F.

Yeah.....that was also a thought. I suppose I could install another Marine battery for the heater......but then I got batteries 'n batteries, 'n batteries.......

-----------

Do Lithium batteries outgas? If not, a more airtight enclosure could be built.

No. Lithium does not gas. That is one of the big plus's with 'em.

Well.....thanks for your thoughts. You're pointing out the issues I figured...kinda-sorta. I think I'll just let it be as is.
My responses in RED above.

Maybe build a bon-fire in the bag well?????
Old 01-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It is battery temperature rather than air temperature that determines the battery's performance and while not as heavy as lead-acid, Li batteries still have a considerable thermal mass and heat/cool slowly. If you have a way to measure battery temperature while in the heated garage before the trip and after the trip along with some spot checks during the trip, we'd have a better idea of how much heat loss occurs and there ought to be a way to calculate how many BTU's are needed to keep them warm.

Along the same vein as building a bonfire in the bag-well , it might be possible to mount a flame-less propane heater back there and use a fan to blow warm air into an air chamber the Li pack is in. Maybe even exhaust the warm air on the accessory battery.

Perhaps a small propane fired boiler can be found and pump hot water to radiators in the battery boxes.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

You mean like this??

I do have a temp sensor in the center of the lithium pack. It's hooked into the BMS incase charging temps reach to high a number....then charging quits. I never tested it....really don't want to. But I can monitor temps before, during and after.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Overkill is underrated, but the steam boiler for a Stanley might be more of an overkill than needed.

Thinking more along the lines of a small tankless propane water for a RV.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:14 AM   #7
sannders03
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Overkill is underrated, but the steam boiler for a Stanley might be more of an overkill than needed.
You're probably right about it, but if we talk about reliable boiler - I would rather choose something, that other people have been trying and testing on their own. And you know, it's not so hard to find a good and informative source with all the comparisons of different boiler models, and pros / cons of each of them. So long story short, first of all - I would read comparison articles about boilers and them read reviews from other people about them.
sannders03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:37 AM   #8
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Clearly you folks need to move south ......
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO