lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #1
dksochan
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 exgo TXT PDS key switch- F/R selector

Ok new member..I have no idea from this point...Lost my mind..in my dash of the ezgo TXT I have the direct positive and negative from the pack with voltage(pack voltage 40.3) next is the F/R selector switch with Orange(Forward) Grey(neutral) Green (reverse) ...past that I have a 2 pole ignition switch with a white wire and a white:Yelliw wire ... I have ran the wiring every way I can think of in my head but am lost...the way it was, the pos and negative were directly wired to volt meter then a jumper off the positive side of that to the key switch and the colors to the F/R selector then the white and white/yellow on one pole and the positive jumper on the other pole...found the batt meter was bad so i replace that, the key switch and the F/R switch all at the same time the key switch lugs were corroded figured will be better, with nothing connected no batt meter, no key switch installed yet i connected the F/R switch and flipped to reverse and have the back up buzzer and cart moves..flip to forward same thing place the switch in neutral and nothing happens... so my selector switch is my drive control...?????I want the key to work and make sure cart is dead without a key(kids don’t need to drive it with nobody around)all wiring from 10 pin have continuity..the 4 pin for switch on accelerator pedal all has continuity and have variable speeds...the pins for the motor all have continuity to the lugs on the motor housing. all have continuity to the speed controller and that is working properly...so why would I have movement of the cart with just the selector switch and no key/volt meter hooked up...It must be something simple and I am losing my mind or I am screwed and it is the controller....Hopefully someone can take me farther than I have gone...Thanks in advance
dksochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2006 exgo TXT PDS key switch- F/R selector

This help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BACB6846-23C5-48B4-BDAC-5EED612E0973.jpeg (40.6 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is really strange, cart working w/o the KS in the circuit. Doesn't make sense. The attached file may help you with your trouble shooting. Includes wiring diagram for PDS system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZGO 2001-2009-PDS Troubleshooting.pdf (8.60 MB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Gray isn't the neutral wire on the F/R switch, it is the common wire (B+ input). You've also got the color code for the F and R wires swapped. In F the Gray wire is connected to the Green wire and in R it is connected to the Orange wire.

The controller supplies both B+ and B- to the solenoid and under conditions the controller can energize the solenoid whenever the Run/Tow switch is in Run.

Basically, the PDS is a drive-by-wire system. so to troubleshoot it, you have to find out what the controller is being told to do. If it is being told to make the cart go when it shouldn't be told to do so, then it is a problem in the control wiring and external switches. On the other hand, if the controller is not being to to make the cart go and it is, it is a controller problem.

Attached is a schematic with the wires needed to have battery pack voltages on them to tell controller to make cart move, highlighted.

Also attached is a drawing of the keyswitch without headlights, a drawing of the voltage paths through the controller and a picture showing Pin-1 on all the jacks.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
dksochan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
That is really strange, cart working w/o the KS in the circuit. Doesn't make sense. The attached file may help you with your trouble shooting. Includes wiring diagram for PDS system.

I have looked at that wiring diagram till i am blue in the face...I have wired the switch exactly as it is shown... but the cart will go in forward and reverse even without the key on and the power jumper from the volt meter hooked up in the dash .... trying to figure out id it the controller that has gone bad inside causing the key to not matter at all or something different....I just two wires to the dashboard a positive and negative from pack voltage...I thought that voltage is what triggers the controller when the key is turned on ...but the key is out and even have the entire keyswitch disconnected...why will forward and reverse switch on dash be allowing the motor to run unless something is jumped in the 10 pin adapter to controller
Old 06-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #6
dksochan
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB that 2 poll diagram has been wired the same as shown I do not have a blue wire to the dash just the selector switch as shown exactly...when i meter orange to grey i have pack voltage , shouldn’t that be 0.0 until key switch activated...not a constant voltage ...again continuity is present back to controller...I am going to tear off the wire wrap and see if anything not direct and find and open the actual switch and check for bypass or butchered wiring... this cart has had every wire removed and redone except the wires in the 10 pin...
Old 06-15-2021, 06:57 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksochan View Post
JohnnieB that 2 poll diagram has been wired the same as shown I do not have a blue wire to the dash just the selector switch as shown exactly...when i meter orange to grey i have pack voltage , shouldn’t that be 0.0 until key switch activated...not a constant voltage ...again continuity is present back to controller...I am going to tear off the wire wrap and see if anything not direct and find and open the actual switch and check for bypass or butchered wiring... this cart has had every wire removed and redone except the wires in the 10 pin...
The voltage path from the battery pack's main positive terminal to the solenoid's small terminal with the yellow wire attached, is a series circuit. Effectively a single wire with some lumps in it (switches).

The F/R switch is before the keyswitch, so there will be voltage on the gray wire whether the key is on or off. To get voltage to the keyswitch, a direction must be selected on the F/R switch.

If the cart runs without the key being on, the keyswitch has been bypassed somehow.

The drawing I posted with the voltage paths through the controller highlighted should enable you to find the problem.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #8
dksochan
Not Yet Wild

Thank you JohnnyB that is very helpful at least i know where to start and it makes sense .... Thank You
Old 06-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Wondering if the meter has failed and its constant power is back feeding the on side of the key switch. Disconnect the number 1 wire on the meter and see what happens.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:50 AM   #10
dksochan
Not Yet Wild

Just an update JohnnieB had me in the right direction so i took the 10 pin harness out along with the wiring and followed the schematic...exactly and found the solenoid was jumped with a wire ... just after purchasing it i took a picture of the wiring and put it back as it was....well not so much a good thing...took all wires out and rewired solenoid and 10 pin correctly and whammo only runs with the key on and that is good...Thank you all👍👍👍👍

Tags
ignition, keyswitch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO