lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 82 Ezgo 2 stroke Good in reverse bad in forward

Nah! It's easy Let's do this thing. This is from memory but if I get a step wrong you will notice and I hope someone smart like BrewCity or Racin or any of those guys will jump in.

You will need a set of metric wrenches, it is a bit of a pain as everything to do with the engine is metric and everything to do with the cart, including the clutch is imperial.

Disconnect the battery
Whilst your down that side remove the rubber air pipe between the air filter and the carburetor
Also on that side underneath the engine there are two wires from the pulsar (red and blue) follow them to the connector and snap it apart.
If you have the oil pump connected and the governor things can get a little messy so I suggest that you first take a picture of the throttle arm on top of the carburetor and then remove the throttle, governor (if connected) and oil pump (again if connected), also remove the choke cable.
If you are running the oil pump remove the banjo bolt from the top of the inlet elbow.
At this point I would remove the line from the fuel tank to the pump, at the pump end and set it to one side.
Wind off the drive belt and remove. Slacken the starter and remove the starter belt.
Remove the muffler (I won't go into details as I know you have been there before).
Remove the spark plug lead.

At this stage we need to address the starter/generator. There are two options, you can either leave it connected to the wires and remove it from the bracket or you can undo the wires and leave the unit fixed to the engine. I don't think it makes much difference but if you decide to remove the wires then
a) mark their location
b) use a thin wrench underneath the cable lug to prevent the stud from turning. If the stud turns it will pull the wire off from inside the casing which will damage your starter and cause you to weep bitter tears of rage and frustration.

Now if you look down each side of the engine you will see the eight bolts that hold the engine to the frame (four on each side). The engineers at EZGO did you a favor here as the two top bolts each side are in slots on the frame so you only need to loosen them, the two bottom bolts on each side need to be removed.

Unless I have forgotten some you should be able to reach in, grit your teeth, say hello to the wonderful world of hemorrhoids and lift the engine out.

I think that will do us for tonight but if I have been insufficiently verbose then let me know what is unclear and we can walk through it.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
sonnyhooper
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Not to speak out of turn but before we pull the engine shouldn't we check compression. No disrespect but you sure wouldnt want to replace the seals and then find out the rings are stuck. I had this happen in an 87 it would run in reverse but not so well in forward. When I checked compression I had 75 in forward and over 100 in reverse. Found out the cylinder was scored and the rings were stuck.
sonnyhooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You're not speaking out of turn Sonny, it is never a bad idea to check the compression, good call. Brad can you beg, borrow or steal a compression tester?

Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #14
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

A slight addendum, when I said
If you are running the oil pump remove the banjo bolt from the top of the inlet elbow.
I got that wrong I should have said remove the oil line from the reservoir to the pump on the front of the engine. The pump comes out with the engine so the oil feed between the two can stay in place.

Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

Got the motor out. Now to the fun stuff. Lets hear how to change those seals guys.
Brad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Wow that was done in record time, good job Brad. Do you need advice on removal of the clutch and/or the flywheel or are you already there?

Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

Yeah. I need you to tell me everything. I don't want to mess anything up.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
sonnyhooper
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

While its out inspect the piston through the exhaust port.
sonnyhooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

OK that's cool, so first remove the bolt in the center of the clutch and pull it out. Look in the center to see if there is a plastic piece in there. This holds the bolt true and protects the thread from corrosion. If it is there then you need to unscrew it, I found it was easiest to use a large screwdriver as a chisel and tap it out. Don't worry if you destroy it your cart will run fine without it in there. If on the other hand you see threads in there then run in your 3/4 bolt that we mentioned earlier to make sure the threads are clean and the bolt goes in all the way. Now remove the bolt and shoot a generous amount of PB Blaster in the center, also try to get some on the other side in by the crankshaft. Drop in the steel rod and then wind in the bolt. Tighten the bolt until it will go no more. In an ideal world you would use your air impact wrench and vibrate that sucker off there in seconds but if you just have a socket set then try tapping it off with a hammer. At this point the problem is that the clutch is almost cold welded onto the crankshaft and the engine is trying to turn with the clutch. Perseverance and more PB Blaster will eventually make it happen but you may need to let it soak overnight. Once you have the clutch in your hand we can move onto the flywheel which will probably be a bit easier.

Good luck
Dave
Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
Brad88
Not Yet Wild

Ok. Can you post the rest for me please? I'm ready to get this sucker done. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO