lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
barhpr
Not Yet Wild

Default What do I have?

Hey all! I have a few questions after a few nights of reading the forums, and working on my newly aquired cart. Unforuntely Im not even sure what I have yet. Im guessing from the forums its a late 80's EZ-GO... In order to ask questions, I really need to know what the heck Ive been wrenching on...

Its a EZ-GO 2 cycle gas motor (painted blue of it matters)
mfg 341779g
mdl gx 444-4
serial 444gx2314

It spent its life doing parades in eastern Iowa... Has always been garaged, and has had all the seats and canopy redone lately.. A friend of mine was gonna take it to the dump because it didnt run. I (always wanting a challenge) brought it home, and found a blown fuse under the forward reverse switch, and a bad solenoid inbetween the ignition and the forward reverse switch.. The thing fired right up!

1.From what Ive read... It needs a fresh topend, (slow in forward & fast in reverse) Which seems to be my issue, noticing it turns over easier in forward..

2. It wont turn over fast enough to start with a battery reading 13.9 V on it, I still need to hook up a battery charger. It does charge when its running, but as soon as i stop, its game over again, these are 12V systems correct?
barhpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
barhpr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: What do I have?

Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
barhpr
Not Yet Wild

Emailed E-Z go found out its a 94' marathon.. I wasnt even close! Happy to find out that I can get alot more parts for it knowing its newer than expected
Old 09-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
rib33024

barhpr, Welcome

Thats a nice cart you have there, clean looking,. But thats not a 94, it should be a 79 gas, here's some info on it
http://bennettgolfcars.ca/manuals/ez...20&%20X444.pdf
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Yep, I vote with RIB on this one, looks like 1997. You need to treat this with some circumspection as many parts are no longer available for the pre 1980 carts. For example the internal starter generator is long gone as is the crankshaft. Now if you rebore the cylinder and fit a +50 piston you could increase the pressure on the big end until it fails and then you will be in a world of misery. If it were mine I would treat it gently until it dies and give it a nice funeral.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Definitely an early 79 or older. I can tell by the single leaf spring on the front. Hope you don't have plans of lifting it unless you're handy with a welder and cutting torch... See this thread for details:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...availible.html
Plumbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
barhpr
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. Kinda what I figured from reading the other post about reading the year in the MFG number, But figured E-Z-go knew better! O'well, Ive only invested about $15.00 in it so far. It runs great in reverse, about half speed in forward. Is it worth putting a piston and a rebore? Its just gonna be a fun toy for the kids to jack around on... and the occasional run down the alley to the neighbors house...
Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just need to order a Ronald McDonald suit to wear while driving it (heehee).

Before worrying about a rebuild, I'd start with a compression test. If it's still good, I'm assuming you could still get some crank seals for this baby, as that's likely your F/R issue. Seems silly to tear down the engine for the seals, but if compression is still good, why not?

If it also has oil injection (sorry, not that familair with these older ones), taking that off and premixing could also extend the cart's life.

I'd also look at the battery, and replace it with a new car battery if it looks like it's not holding charge. I'd suggest it's not, as even without the starter gen, one of these carts should be able to run on a good battery for some time before crapping out.

And possibly, the starter gen is still fine and just needs some new brushes. Not sure what's available, but an easy fix if that's all it needs.

Regardless, welome to the fun world of money pits, I mean golf carts!
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO