lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
Buscobob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Robin 2006 into 1994.5 engine not so Ezgo swap

Well I'm thinking that maybe I got in a little over my head. I have a 1994.5 Ezgo Medalist cart. Ever since I bought it the engine had smoked and always had the smell of burnt oil. I tossed around rebuilding the engine but for about the same price I bought a used Robin 295cc that came out of a 2006 cart. The owner was swapping it out for a big block. He said it ran and I never doubted him. My old Robin 295 ran OK just couldn't handle the smoke and smell any more. I thought it would be an easy swap.
I got the engines swapped out this week. Not really a lot of problems swapping. I had to buy a ignition coil jumper wire to hook into the new style ignition coil and I used the older linkage from the carb so I didn't need to figure out how to bypass the governor. Other than the ignition coil I didn't replace any of the older 1994.5 electrical parts. So I got everything connected and tried to start it and all I got was crank, crank, crank. No start. A backfire every once in a while but no start. I'm sure it is getting gas. I pulled the wet plugs and see that it is firing one time on both plugs when I first start cranking. After that no sparks.
Is there some sensor that is keeping it from firing? I know that igniter assembly is different on a 2006 than it is on a 1994.5. Does anyone know if that might be the problem? I see that there is an HEI ignition mod for 3PG carts. Is this something that I may need to do? I tried using the old ignition coil but still had the same results.
I haven't checking anything like compression or timing. I did check the gap on the flywheel and it is about .020 to .022. My old engine was about the same so I figured that must be good.
Any ideas?? Thanks!!
Buscobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Robin 2006 into 1994.5 engine not so Ezgo swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscobob View Post
Well I'm thinking that maybe I got in a little over my head. I have a 1994.5 Ezgo Medalist cart. Ever since I bought it the engine had smoked and always had the smell of burnt oil. I tossed around rebuilding the engine but for about the same price I bought a used Robin 295cc that came out of a 2006 cart. The owner was swapping it out for a big block. He said it ran and I never doubted him. My old Robin 295 ran OK just couldn't handle the smoke and smell any more. I thought it would be an easy swap.
I got the engines swapped out this week. Not really a lot of problems swapping. I had to buy a ignition coil jumper wire to hook into the new style ignition coil and I used the older linkage from the carb so I didn't need to figure out how to bypass the governor. Other than the ignition coil I didn't replace any of the older 1994.5 electrical parts. So I got everything connected and tried to start it and all I got was crank, crank, crank. No start. A backfire every once in a while but no start. I'm sure it is getting gas. I pulled the wet plugs and see that it is firing one time on both plugs when I first start cranking. After that no sparks.
Is there some sensor that is keeping it from firing? I know that igniter assembly is different on a 2006 than it is on a 1994.5. Does anyone know if that might be the problem? I see that there is an HEI ignition mod for 3PG carts. Is this something that I may need to do? I tried using the old ignition coil but still had the same results.
I haven't checking anything like compression or timing. I did check the gap on the flywheel and it is about .020 to .022. My old engine was about the same so I figured that must be good.
Any ideas?? Thanks!!
I think this is your problem .
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
Buscobob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I also saw that a single spark might be attributed to a bad pulsar coil.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Question??? Does the new engine have the exhaust header made into the cylinder head? If so, you have an MCI engine and you must have had a pre MCI engine... Ignition is different as Big Mule was pointing out... Seems like the last time I did this swap I had to get a harness to work with the older ignition and had to modify the exhaust to work.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
Buscobob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies big mule and ez go go. Yes the exhaust header is made into the cylinder head. I didn't need to modify the exhaust. I assume that is because I got a muffler with the used engine I bought. Hmmm. MCI engine. Like I said, I may have gotten in over my head. Will the HEI ignition install help my problem? Or should I just look for a wiring harness from a newer cart? The HEI install looks to be over my head but I have a couple of electrical friends that I am sure could handle it.
Thanks again for any help you can throw my way.

Edit: After going through all the HEI messages I'm not sure this is what I need to do. I think I need to get a newer ignitor and a newer wiring harness.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Get with the site sponsors or search Scotty B... I bought a harness, not from Scotty B, but I did by one that will adapt the pre MCI ignition to the MCI ignition.. Wasn't much.. Easy fix.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #7
Buscobob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez go go View Post
Get with the site sponsors or search Scotty B... I bought a harness, not from Scotty B, but I did by one that will adapt the pre MCI ignition to the MCI ignition.. Wasn't much.. Easy fix.
Thanks again. After searching the internet and these forums most of the day I found everything I needed. I had already bought a 74373-G01 Coil Adapter harness before I started the project. Today I found that I needed a 74362-G01 ignitor adapter harness and the new style ignitor, 72872-G01. I picked up an aftermarket replacement CDI Ignitor on Ebay for about $70 and the adapter harness at Gilbert Golf Cars for about $20. I found that the old pre MCI muffler wouldn't work but that was never a problem for me as the used engine I bought came with the muffler. I'm a happy camper now. I hope everything works out OK.
I've learned more about golf carts today than I actually wanted to know.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
ski-doo583
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Double check your battery connections. Make sure you didn't mix up the positive and negative cables at the battery, the engine will still roll over in the correct direction but will not have spark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ski-doo583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #9
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-doo583 View Post
Double check your battery connections. Make sure you didn't mix up the positive and negative cables at the battery, the engine will still roll over in the correct direction but will not have spark.

Good point,been there and done that .
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #10
ski-doo583
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

This igniter would be your old one

ski-doo583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO