lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
410MAN
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default cost of ring job

I have 94 gas Marathon gx444 4 cycle.
It started smoking lots more than usual. I only owned 6 for 6 months, I have added some that "stop smoking" ring re-newel stuff, no help. I was just wondering what estimate of ring job should cost here in East Texas. Only 2 dealers around here that do it, and they not to excited about doing . cant even get a price, any info appreciated.
410MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
R3dkni9ht
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: cost of ring job

I ended up doing it myself. I just got done rebuilding my 1993 295 robin 4 cycle. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but had never taken a motor apart this far before and it really wasn't bad. Took me 4 full days start to finish and it runs good.

New pistons and rings cost me about $100
Gasket set was about $60
All from eBay

Buy yourself a Cylinder hone attachment for a drill incase the cylinders are a little scored. Mine were actually fine, didn't have to hone at all.

This Manual helped me out a lot with things I didn't know during the process:
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/27615-g01.pdf
R3dkni9ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
R3dkni9ht
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also if you have it lifted, make sure you only have 1 1/2 qt's of oil in it. If you have more than that in a lifted cart it could also cause it to smoke.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
410MAN
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank U R3, I will do the valves this weekend.
410MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I just done my 1996 txt with the 295 engine.

My thought is if one part is wore out the others are not far behind. These rods have no bearings, Just rod to crank! And the valves are bad about wearing deep into the head/seat

I did the complete kit
rods, pistons, valves, rings, valve seals, all seals and gaskets. $320 off ebay.

For $35 more I went ahead and replaced all 5 bearings.
New oil filter, air filter, plugs and oil $35

So $390 and everything is new and not half/assed
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
R3dkni9ht
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I agree with Gear, take it all apart and if things look wore then just replace it all right away while its apart. I was lucky in my case. I rebuilt it just cause it was smoking some on take off. Cylinders were in really good shape yet (Not scored at all), rods looked really good where it connects to the crank, and seeing as how I am on a budget I left them. I must have caught it early.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #7
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just a reminder. When installing new rings it is to your benefit to hone the cylinders even though they are not scored, scratched or looking worn. You want the 45 degree cross hatching and a light scuffing that will come from the honing process. You don't have to get crazy you just need to break the "glaze" on the cylinder wall. The used cylinder will be polished from use by the old rings. When you install the new rings they will not seat and seal as well on that old surface causing lower compression and increased oil consumption. Find someone with a ball hone.
http://www.grumpysperformance.com/ballhone1.jpg
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO