lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
feds
Not Yet Wild

Default Starter bypass

Is there a kit for removing the starter switch from the accelerator pedal and going to a key ignition switch? The idea would be to get the cart to idle and put along a slow speed without running on the starter motor,
feds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Starter bypass

That wouldn't be a very good idea considering that the starter is also the generator that charges the battery.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
clr.R4tch3t
Getting Wild

Well, if it was at an 'idle' it should be in charge mode. That shouldn't cause any issues with the starter/generator. You just need to find where the micro switch goes to the solenoid and either tap into it or bypass it completely.

I was debating tapping into it with my cart. Mostly because I have a large light bar on the front and if I need it while working at night it would be nice to be able to flip a switch and have it idle. This would be less than optimal for normal use, so a toggle on the dash to enable that 'function' would be ideal.
clr.R4tch3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

When you flip that switch to have it idle, what do you plan on doing to make the throttle open for fuel? There is no idle circuit in the carburetor.

There have been carts modified to idle like a car.
It requires more than just taking the pedal switch out of the system. There are throttle, and clutch mods required too. It also makes wear spots on the belt as it rubs against the shaft of a spinning drive clutch.

If you read the original question, he wants to make the starter stop turning at idle. That simply just isn't going to happen.
The starter is connected to the engine with a fixed tension belt. If the engine is turning, the starter is turning. There is no spring loaded bendix like on a car.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
clr.R4tch3t
Getting Wild

I must have misunderstood the question.

No idle circuit can be bypassed by cracking the throttle open a hair with the throttle stop screw. You shouldn't need any choke modification, it would still function the same.. however I would most likely only use the function when the cart was already warmed up. And lastly the belt issue is a legitimate concern, but easily fixed by just flipping the belt off the drive clutch if you knew it was going to be idling for an extended period of time. Not an ideal fix, or the most convenient, but it would work.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I wrote clutch. You read it as choke. There would be no choke issues.

Leaving the throttle plate cracked open a little is how backfiring is caused, which then blows out the crankshaft seals on a 2 stroke. It needs to shut all the way before the spark is removed on shut down.

Now, I can see that if you are on a mountain, and want to use your cart as a generator to run lights once in a while, your mods will work.

The problem is that these guys want to jump off their carts while they are idling, and jump back on to go. They are not going to shut it off to remove the drive belt, and adjust that carb plate every time they want to keep it running.

The more pointed problem is that they don't understand how these carts were designed, and try to make them run like a car. It's not a car.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #7
clr.R4tch3t
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I wrote clutch. You read it as choke. There would be no choke issues.
Yup.. somehow I read that as choke. Haha and yes, my use will probably be vastly different than the regular Joe. I may even put in a second choke style pull as a manual throttle lock, if I can figure out how to work it into the main throttle cable (since it adds slack to open and won't work like an old school car cruise control). Who knows. It is all just for fun.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO