lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1992 3pg

So I'm having trouble at times starting the cart. Sometimes say maybe 8 times is a row it turns over and starts but on the 9th time the solenoid just clicks. So I pop the seat and rotate the engine a little and it starts. Next time I may try to start it it turns over real slow like it's barely going to get started then it'll start fine the next 9 times.

I checked that battery and when it's fully charged it has the above symptoms.

I have also went over ALL the cables taking them off and cleaning them to make sure they have good contact to the starter, solenoid, ground etc.

Is it possible I have a "dead" spot on the starter/gen? Also I'll add that when it gets "caught up" and won't start the engine seems to be on top dead center, at it's highest compression point

One final question, is it possible for a battery to have a full charge and not put out the amperage to have the strength to turn it over?

Thanks for any input!
Barnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1992 3pg

Could be worn brushes on starter also check belt tensioner and make sure when it won't start that the starter pulley isn't slipping on the belt
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply, I just replaced the brushes less than two years ago so I don't think that would be it, they should be fine for awhile. Also the starter isn't spinning at all.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You can load test your battery.

Standing voltage fully charged is 12.74 volts. Put your meter on the battery, and step on the pedal. You really don't want to see more than a one volt drop. {Do I even need to say jack it up first?}

If the voltage drops to 9.6 volts, it's a failed load test.

The next time it happens, switch directions. See what it does. When people clean all of the connections, most forget to take the forward/reverse switch apart to clean the big copper lugs.

Load test first.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I cleaned the cables that go to the F/R switch but didn't take it apart. I've tried switching gears and it makes no difference, it won't start either way.

I'll get a good meter tomorrow and try a load test. The cheap one I have isn't very accurate and hard to read.

Stay tuned and thanks!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I did a load test and the battery is putting out 13v on the meter, 12v when it's cranking and 16v when it running so that's not a problem.

All of yesterday and today so far it's started right up with no problem.

Could the solenoid be faulty even though it clicks when I step on the pedal to start the cart? I've replaced it just a few days ago because of the same problem, it not starting thinking that was it (the solenoid) was the issue. I'd think the odds of having two solenoids bad, especially with one of them being brand new would be a long shot.

I really don't know what else to check unless it's a wire that is breaking down and not letting the starter get the proper voltage to the starter to turn it over sometimes.

Any more ideas are appreciated.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Only way to really check the solenoid is when it acts up have a meter handy and check the post on the solenoid that are headed to starter and see if you have 12v also 16 is a little high if you have an adjustable voltage regulator I'd back it down to 14.5v range
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #8
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well all was well most of the day today, started right up and it always runs good after it's started. Just was getting ready to put it away and back to the solenoid clicking and the starter not turning. Popped the seat again, rotated the engine hopped on and it started with difficulty. Like there was quite enough "juice" to turn it over. Turned over real slow then started. Stopped it again, hit the gas and it started right up like it was supposed too. Crazy stuff.

I'm not sure what to look for on the voltage regulator as for an adjustment. I don't ever remember seeing anything on it that looked "adjustable".
Old 05-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Something has intermittent high resistance.

The canister type voltage regulators have points inside that are adjustable.
Was that voltage at a really high rev? I don't think I would mess with it.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #10
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes it was probably half throttle. I don't think I'm going to worry about it.

I'm not sure what to do with the starter/gen. I guess I could drop the money and buy a new one then have this one rebuilt if I can find someone to do it and re-sell it as rebuilt to get back some of my money. I'm at a loss with it and have run out of ideas to try.

I'd just rebuild it but it's hard for me to do without the cart seeing I run it around the farm for chores and such. I just hate to be without it.

Tags
generator, solenoid, starter, won't start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO