lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #1
Boostedcivicb
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring question

I recently acquired a ezgo gas golf cart it has the 350cc engine. It was in a garage fire and all the plastic and wiring was completely burned. Some how the engine was unharmed. I wired everything back from a diagram cleaned gas tank changed lines and filter and final got it to start and run today. My question is I don't have a key switch or pedal start switch at all I'm just running the black hot wire in the pic of off the b spot on the solenoid and touching it to d spot and it starts and runs as long as I hold it on was wondering if that is ok and If i can just run a switch in the middle of that wire to start it but i was thinking the starter is running the whole time it is running if I do that. Is that normal or does the pedal switch or any of the other micro switches shut the start off after the engine is running. I just don't want to burn my starter up if it's not supposed to continuously run or have power to it I know once the engine actually starts it's still going to be spinning just not sure if it should have power the way I'm doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boostedcivicb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Wiring question

you got that running ?

\
Old 06-07-2017, 01:15 AM   #3
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

I vote tiller steering with a 2x4 and a sheet of plywood for a seat lol.
Alex Faught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It's a starter/generator. It's supposed to run all of the time.

That'll buff right out.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
It's a starter/generator. It's supposed to run all of the time.

That'll buff right out.
Yes, but I don't think there should be power to the starter side of the generator while the engine is running, which I think that was the op's question?
Alex Faught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Is the voltage regulator OK and wired up correctly? Put a voltmeter on the batt while it is running and see if it is charging correctly (around 13.5 volts).

So the drive belt and plug wires survived the fire ok? Did the gas in the tank even burn? (the gas tank looks pretty intact) That is quite a project. Hopefully you got a good deal on it.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
Boostedcivicb
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Faught View Post
Yes, but I don't think there should be power to the starter side of the generator while the engine is running, which I think that was the op's question?

Yeah that was my question how to cut power off to the starter but not kill the engine unless it's supposed to have power the whole time!

Old 06-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
Boostedcivicb
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyerik View Post
Is the voltage regulator OK and wired up correctly? Put a voltmeter on the batt while it is running and see if it is charging correctly (around 13.5 volts).

So the drive belt and plug wires survived the fire ok? Did the gas in the tank even burn? (the gas tank looks pretty intact) That is quite a project. Hopefully you got a good deal on it.

Yeah the plug wires and drive belt survived. The gas tank was did get burnt at all either weird how everything else was toast. I have all the burnt stuff almost off and down to the frame I'll post a pic later when I can get one. So i have everything wired the way it is in the diagram I will test volts at battery while running. If it is around 13.5 is it ok to have power to the starter the whole time it's running?

Old 06-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes- it is a starter/generator- so when the engine is spinning it faster than "cranking" speed, it actually produces power instead of using up power.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #10
Boostedcivicb
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyerik View Post
Yes- it is a starter/generator- so when the engine is spinning it faster than "cranking" speed, it actually produces power instead of using up power.

Ok awesome thanks for your help I'll just run a switch in between the wiring I'm crossing to the solenoid.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO