lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
g-note
Not Yet Wild

Talking 1998 ezgo txt ?

I just bought this 1998 EZGO TXT gasoline model and was wondering which model motor I have and if its worth modding or just leave it stock.

Not using at all for Golf, just to truck around the neighborhood since they banned my kawasaki Teryx.

Thanks in advance
g-note is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1998 ezgo txt ?

Probably Robin engine. Other and newer carts have kawasaki. I hate when it comes to getting a carb for Kawasaki because they are really expensive
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
g-note
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
Probably Robin engine. Other and newer carts have kawasaki. I hate when it comes to getting a carb for Kawasaki because they are really expensive
How many CC's are they?

Can you make them faster?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:58 PM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Standard ezgo cart engines for a 98 are 295cc twin cylinder Robin / subaru engines running 9HP. with standard clutches and tyres they are fine, but start upgrading tyre size and stuff, you will find it lacking torque. but yes, there are ways to make them more powerful depending on what you want to spend. Think before looking at engine upgrades as these engines are really reliable if services correctly.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
g-note
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: 1998 ezgo txt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Standard ezgo cart engines for a 98 are 295cc twin cylinder Robin / subaru engines running 9HP. with standard clutches and tyres they are fine, but start upgrading tyre size and stuff, you will find it lacking torque. but yes, there are ways to make them more powerful depending on what you want to spend. Think before looking at engine upgrades as these engines are really reliable if services correctly.
Well I have 3 kids and we will be using it ride around the neighborhoods. Not looking to set land speed records but don’t want to be getting passed by 60 yr old women speed walking. I haven’t lifted it yet but I’m sure that will kill the Power. My teryx is lifted so I’m Not opposed to leaving it stock height, just want to be able to hop the curbs. Any ideas ???
Old 10-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If i were you. i would search through the ezgo tech section In ezgo gas and look for a thread by Ruredy about alternative belts. Go with the one he recommends and you will find keb hopping a doddle. as to top speed, you can adjust the governor for more speed and go as far as the igniter limiter will allow. This should get you to around 18/20 mph. Next thing is to give the engine a good service, Also detailed in the tech section by i believe Bob-0. next step is to look for a 350cc robin engine in good condition and put your 295cc cylinder head on it, this will raise you from 9hp to almost 20hp and along with the shorter belt and maybe a 28 degree rear clutch ramp would have you running like a scalded cat. I recommend the 350 cc robin as it is a direct bolt in replacement. Or, you could get your 295 cc over bored to 350 and re jet the carb for pretty much the same effect.

"But what do i know, i haven't been here for ten years" LoL
Old 10-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
g-note
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: 1998 ezgo txt ?

Quote:
If i were you. i would search through the ezgo tech section In ezgo gas and look for a thread by Ruredy about alternative belts. Go with the one he recommends and you will find keb hopping a doddle. as to top speed, you can adjust the governor for more speed and go as far as the igniter limiter will allow. This should get you to around 18/20 mph. Next thing is to give the engine a good service, Also detailed in the tech section by i believe Bob-0. next step is to look for a 350cc robin engine in good condition and put your 295cc cylinder head on it, this will raise you from 9hp to almost 20hp and along with the shorter belt and maybe a 28 degree rear clutch ramp would have you running like a scalded cat. I recommend the 350 cc robin as it is a direct bolt in replacement. Or, you could get your 295 cc over bored to 350 and re jet the carb for pretty much the same effect.

"But what do i know, i haven't been here for ten years" LoL
Thanks!
great info, I was debating opening up the motor but I will start with the mods you listed.

Do you guys think 14" wheels with 23" tires would kill the performance or just stay with 12" and 22" tires???
Old 10-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

On a standard 295 i would go with 20" tires until you can get the shorter belt at least. even better, the 28 degree clutch conversion and then go with 22", if you upgrade to 350cc then go all out.

This (the one in my sig) is running a 350 with the mods i spoke of including the 295 head and open headers. and running on 25 x 12 -10 tires and a home made lift kit at around 35mph top end. It also has the old 91 ( i think ) igniter without rev limiter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnLeMIF-iZc

And this one is on a 295 with short belt and ungoverned engine only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F83sDdCsGsY

Bear in mind these videos were shot on a phone camera 10 years ago, so quality is poor and a bit jumpy.lol

Got the bug yet?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #9
g-note
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
On a standard 295 i would go with 20" tires until you can get the shorter belt at least. even better, the 28 degree clutch conversion and then go with 22", if you upgrade to 350cc then go all out.

This (the one in my sig) is running a 350 with the mods i spoke of including the 295 head and open headers. and running on 25 x 12 -10 tires and a home made lift kit at around 35mph top end. It also has the old 91 ( i think ) igniter without rev limiter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnLeMIF-iZc

And this one is on a 295 with short belt and ungoverned engine only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F83sDdCsGsY

Bear in mind these videos were shot on a phone camera 10 years ago, so quality is poor and a bit jumpy.lol

Got the bug yet?
Oh yeah!

I’m just debating how far I want to go with this thing, cause I just sunk a bunch into my long arm teryx. I’ve been debating keeping it stock height with 14’s on 205/30-14’s until I get more into the motor.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
beg4wake
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I had the 295 robins motor with upgraded belt, jetted carb and K&N filter. Motor ran great with no complaints other than it just simply lacked power with my 12"/23" tires. Top speed was great around 24 but trying to go uphill it struggled with more than 2 people. I use this as a shooting cart and around the farm/lake so it can get fairly loaded down with people and gear at times. I upgraded to a Vegas Carts big block kit and never looked back! Gave me 25hp and plenty of torque to climb anything even loaded down. However, I would NOT recommend this motor to anybody who will be running around a community all the time as it is a loud little motor. I've got a small car muffler on it now which has quietened it down a lot but its still kind of loud. Def not camping park friendly if you know what I mean! But for my type use it's great! Motor is also simple to service and cheap/easy to place if ever needed.
beg4wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO