lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default SAFE-T-LOCK Electronic Keypad Switch

Years back, I had a Club Car DS that had been fitted with a SAFE-T-LOCK/Curtis Instruments electronic keypad switch as an anti-theft device instead of the fleet key switch. Having recently had my 2011 Club Car Precedent with just the normal fleet keyswitch stolen, I have now bought a 2012 EZGO TXT and want to fit a SAFE-T-LOCK to it to replace the fleet key switch.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting this device to their cart? The SAFE-T-LOCK is designed primarily for industrial and agricultural machinery like tractors and forklifts with seat switches that are activated when the operative sits on the driver's seat. That leaves me with the question of what to do with the grey wire on the on the SAFE-T-LOCK that would normally be connected to the seat switch. My gut feeling is that I should connect it to a live feed to simulate the effect of a seat switch being activated. Alternatively, I could leave it unconnected to anything but it looks like the module would time out every three minutes and leave me having to reactivate it by punching in the code again. I have spoken to Curtis Instruments in the UK who sell exactly the same unit with different badging but their tech guy didn't have a definitive answer.

Any advice would be welcome.
Peter W is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: SAFE-T-LOCK Electronic Keypad Switch

You could wire the gray wire to a key switch that would activate your keypad. Double protection.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

UPDATE

I've now fitted the SAFE-T-LOCK module to my buggy with the gray wire not connected to anything and it seems to work fine. With this device in place, together with an accelerator pedal lock, a hidden kill switch on the ignition circuit, a chain lock to prevent the seat from being raised and a padlock that looks like it would survive a nuclear attack locking the buggy to a steel security bar attached to two steel posts set in concrete, it should take a pretty determined thief to try to steal my buggy from my buggy bay at the golf club when there are 30-something others less well protected to choose from. That's the theory, anyway!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
dacheedah
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Tons of these devices, locating the cart with Law Enforcement would be helpful

https://newatlas.com/spybike-gps-tracker/22999/
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:35 AM   #5
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for that link, dacheedah. I have a hidden tracker on my caravan trailer and hadn't thought about fitting one to a buggy. I'm based in the United Kingdom so I think the company whose link you gave me may not work here but we certainly have three or four tracking device companies over here. I'll certainly investigate the possibilities. Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:02 AM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Gee, I always thought the Brits were too polite to be thieves.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Gee, I always thought the Brits were too polite to be thieves.
Haha, I wish you were right.

Golf buggies have been increasingly targeted by thieves at our golf clubs recently. They've been ripping the batteries out of electric buggies, presumably because the price of scrap lead has risen steeply here and, along with farm machinery, gas buggies have been disappearing into thin air with only a very small percentage recovered. The likelihood is that, apart from those taken by kids for joyriding and usually found dumped in a field or burnt out, they are being shipped abroad in containers by organised gangs. Two were taken from my golf club on a Saturday night and two more the following Thursday night plus two more from another golf club 15 miles away a week later. Our local police have no clues as to who took them and where they are now. Fortunately, my insurance company paid my claim in full because I had taken 'reasonable precautions' to protect my old Club Car from theft but it's taken me a while to find a good replacement for the same money.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #8
dacheedah
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default SAFE-T-LOCK Electronic Keypad Switch

There are a ton of tracker devices out there. We are seeing an increasing number of items recovered or located. Not advocating for any one company but something that works off of battery with a days worth of battery backup , a gps track, that wakes up with motion and that would text your would be preferable. I would find a good place to tuck it in where it is not easily located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #9
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacheedah View Post
There are a ton of tracker devices out there. We are seeing an increasing number of items recovered or located. Not advocating for any one company but something that works off of battery with a days worth of battery backup , a gps track, that wakes up with motion and that would text your would be preferable. I would find a good place to tuck it in where it is not easily located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've contacted a company in the UK that manufactures and sells appropriate GPS trackers and would give me a multiple-order discount for my fellow golf club buggy owners. I need to contact other companies yet to make comparisons but I'm enthusiastic about getting one for myself anyway. Thanks again for your advice, dacheedah.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO