lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #11
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1982 G1 engine rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
I'm 99.9% sure the head and jug are interchaneable. The head is different i think due to the chamber being larger in 82 for lower compression. The jug may be the same but could have different port timing?? along with a restricted intake port. the intake boot is different for sure but from what ive seen, people have had no problems using the readily available 79-81+83 up intake, carb and exhaust. These items will just help it breath better and when used as a combo i doubt would require much if any carb adjustments

I have 2 82 engines that both need work and my runner is an 84 but I'm not willing to tear it down for comparison. Its the strangest thing but every time a G1 comes up for sale close to me the **** thing is an 82!
I spoke with Don at Plowman's and he is very knowledgable on these carts. He called the replacement top end kit for my '82 a J10 retro kit. I am guessing that references the older G1 models, I am not sure if that exactly means a J10 kit will just fit or if it is something special they make or use to retro fit it. Kits seems to be the same price so no sweat. If I continue with this cart it is sounding like I will be getting that kit and probably another carb (if mine is in fact a restricted '82 model). I will let you all know what I decide and keep you posted.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
willis68nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hello everyone. I dug into the cart a bit recently. Here is what I found. The piston has lost some pieces, see the pic.... The cylinder walls look good and I don't see a lip. I am wondering if I can just throw a piston and rings in it?? Does anyone know what size piston I am looking for?? Or maybe a better question, what is the standard bore of the '82 motor??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180410_144002.jpg (160.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #13
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis68nova View Post
Hello everyone. I dug into the cart a bit recently. Here is what I found. The piston has lost some pieces, see the pic.... The cylinder walls look good and I don't see a lip. I am wondering if I can just throw a piston and rings in it?? Does anyone know what size piston I am looking for?? Or maybe a better question, what is the standard bore of the '82 motor??
I know the right thing to do it a new top end but this is a secondary cart and I am still hinging or if I should keep it or not so the inexpensive route right now will help me to keep it and beat around a bit in in.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #14
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

all that mud and oil caked around it it probably over heated.

you can sometimes clean the carbon off the top of the piston and it state what size it is. The stock piston bore should be the same for all G1's but i would have the cylinder looked at by a machine shop then order your piston weather it be stock or over bore.

may as well have them mill the head while its a part to bump compression a tad. I don't think youd have much in a piston and ring set, boring and milling the head. a set of gaskets and cranks seal and youd be like new. i think its like $20 a hole for boring and wouldn't think milling the head would cost much more.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #15
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Any suggestions on cleaning that carbon off??

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #16
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Wire brush
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #17
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Got the piston out and cleaned up. No markings... Thoughts? I am going to try to measure it with a mic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180412_181522.jpg (75.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #18
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Also is this normal? I was able to move the rod back and forth when I got the jug off. Here is a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rgd...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 04-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #19
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Wait, you are really going to try to reuse that piston? That thing is gone and will need replaced.

Just my opinion but that connecting rod has too much play in it as well. I wouldn't be surprised if that caused your piston to break. If you are trying to stay cheap for now I wouldn't mess with it though. A new piston is going to be a must though.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis68nova View Post
Also is this normal? I was able to move the rod back and forth when I got the jug off. Here is a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rgd...w?usp=drivesdk
guessing the piston is stock. I think the crank would be ok. have a machine shop measure your jug then order your over size piston and rings. You need the new piston before they can bore the cylinder.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha