lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
jim Eb.
Not Yet Wild

Default Different fuel pump on G1 Yamaha

My Yamaha 1986 G1 gas golf cart seems to use a different fuel pump than most others. I've looked all over ebay and google and cheapest seems to be $99.00 while others are under $20.00.Is there another one I can use that's cheaper ?Mine has 4 phillips heads screws on the round front and only two lines, one in and 1 out, one of the two right angled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4633.jpg (206.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4634.jpg (147.8 KB, 0 views)
jim Eb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Different fuel pump on G1 Yamaha

that's the factory pump. I belive you can get a refresh kit for it. The $20 pumps are just that and can be used but I highly recommend the factory pump.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Any 3 line vacuum pump will work on your cart. I used one from a riding mower before I coverted to an electric.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Any 3 line vacuum pump will work on your cart. I used one from a riding mower before I coverted to an electric.
What he said

The only "yamaha specific" part of the oumlnis the mounting pattern. But any vacuum operated fuel pump will work. They're all basically the same... 1-2psi max. Juat something to love the fuel from lower on the cart to the higher mounted carb since gravity is not on your side.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #5
jim Eb.
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the information, now to decide to rebuild or replace.I did see a place in California on ebay remaking pumps there and says theirs will fit my cart but it didn't look correct.No problem to rebuild it either if I can find the right kit.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
jim Eb.
Not Yet Wild

So messing with my cart between rains I cleaned out the fuel pump diaphragm(looks like one on each side) and they look clean and free of rips and seems to be pumping a decent amount of fuel but won't start my cart.I can take carb cleaner and spray in the carb and it starts right up, so now I'm confused even more.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

You almost certainly have a crank seal replacement in your future. There are couple of stickies on top of the forum that show how it's done.

Fuel pumps can only deliver gas from the tank to the carb. Engine vacuum has to suck it from the carb into to cylinder for combustion. If the crank seals are bad then there won't be enough vacuum to do the latter. Starting fluid / carb cleaners get drawn in in smaller amounts so a motor with poor suction will give you a couple secs of run time but it wouldn't be sustainable.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
jim Eb.
Not Yet Wild

The crank seal doesn't sound like fun, will check out the stickeys.Not sure if it matters but I was shooting the carb cleaner in the choke past the butterfly, not the gas inlet.Could it be a dirty carb instead of crank seal or doesn't it matter ?Thanks.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

there have been lots of guys stranded due to the cheap fuel pumps. That why I recommend the factory pump or a rebuild for it.

The crank seals aren't to bad to do. Check the stickies for a step by step. You will need a primary clutch removal tool and a standard puller for the coil side.
The primary tool is around $25 ish dollars on ebay and you can rent a puller from auto zone and return it and get all your money back.

There are marks on the coil plate and case you line up for timing. Use a marker to make more identifying marks.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #10
kahn67
Not Yet Wild

dump the factory pump just plug the lines run a low psi electric pump you can get them for 7 or 8 dollars run power from battery to switch you cut on and off mine works great

ou can use a lighted switch if you are absent minded
kahn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha