lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #1
flash_e
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 1991 G5A Sun Classic Starter Issues

Hi Guys,
I am having issues with my 1991 Sun classic. It started yesterday when I went to start it and it would not move. I searched the forum and found an article about the starter generator brushes. I tapped the side of the starter generator and it worked perfectly. I made sure I could hear the click of the solenoid and made sure I was getting voltage through it. I removed the starter generator and replaced the brushers. They were really worn down. I made sure everything turned freely by hand and reinstalled. I then hit the gas and it would barley turn over and would not start the engine. I though the battery was bad so I hooked up the charger and flipped it to start and still would not turn over. I found out that I can rotate the drive about 1/2 turn in the reverse and then put it in forward and it will turn over like normal and take right off. Once I shut the engine off it will maybe crank over one time again. I had adjusted the valves about a year ago as well. I have not tried to start it without the plug to see if it will turn over freely. It seems like either the starter is bad and does not have enough power to turn over with the new brushes or the compression is keeping it from turning over. Any thoughts or things to try would be greatly appreciated.
flash_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 1991 G5A Sun Classic Starter Issues

Looking at the starter generator, you will see 4 terminals. 2 are linked together, 2 have cables toat lead away from the unit. Get us cranking voltages from the 2 that lead away.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:44 AM   #3
flash_e
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sorry for the rookie question, but do I just put my meter on the two terminals that are not connected together and press the pedal?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Yes. And don't worry about polarity, the one from the solenoid will be B+.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
flash_e
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks. So here is what I did. Checked from the battery positive to F2 and got 12.7V then when I pressed the pedal it read between .8 and .7. On the Negative side I went from the battery to A1 and it read 0 and then .1 to .2 when the pedal is pressed. If I hit the pedal a couple of times and basically get the engine moving back and forth it will fire up and run. If I rotate the engine back just a little ways it will fire up the first time. I took video but not sure how to post it. It almost acts like there is either compression keeping it from turning or the starter motor is not strong enough to start it. Do the brushes need to wear in some and could be causing it to do this? Thanks for you help.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
flash_e
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I drove it around the block and it seems like it starts a little easier, but I still have to bump the starter a couple of times to get it to turn over and take off.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

We need the readings from the 2 starter terminals A1 to F2, not the battery or anywhere else.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
flash_e
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

When the pedal is pushed it measures around 9.4 between F2 and A1. When it is running I get around 12.9 between F2 and A1.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
flash_e
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have been driving that cart around and it seems like it is getting easier to start. When it is on a flat surface it sometimes takes a couple of bumps to get it turned over. If it is on an incline it usually starts on the first try and takes off. I have not had any issues once the cart it running about letting off of the accelerator and applying it again. I am glad that it is running, but I would still like to figure out the root cause so I can get it fixed and not have to worry about it. Thanks so far for your help. I appreciate it.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Well, 9.4 is pretty lousy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha