lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #21
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 lean plug reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrcr822 View Post
The pilot jet is really only used to about 1/4 throttle or so. After 1/4 all the way to WOT is where the main jet comes into play. How are you doing your plug checks? You may be reading the idle circuit and a larger pilot air jet may make that area of the carb leaner. On my bikes I get it into third gear,open the throttle and ride to WOT and redline the engine then pull the clutch in and kill the engine. Ill coast with engine off and clutch in until I get to my driveway then pull the plug and read it. The object is to get all the way on the main jet under load then read the plug and not be on the idle or pilot circuit of the carburetor. On the golf cart I drove to the end of my street, turned around and matted the throttle driving towards my house. Once as far as the engine will rev I turned the key to off and coasted to a stop then read the plug. Its been my expirence that two strokes run great lean and then they melt down
when doing this are you swapping In new plugs between readings? or would the plug show more tan the closer I get?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2019, 12:04 AM   #22
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ill start out with a new plug and clean it after each run. Just 000 steel wool and compressed air. Oh and set the gap too.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #23
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I bought plugs and capped off the intake and exhaust and hooked a smoke machine up to the crank case (fuel pump pulse port)expecting to find a bad gasket or something. Nothing nada. I really don't know where to go next with this thing. I guess its possible the leak doesn't show it self until warm. I wonder if my air filter is installed incorrectly? The filter is bottomed firly in the d shape at the bottom of the filter housing and I have all tabs lined up on the lid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190111_190516.jpg (192.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190111_190530.jpg (290.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #24
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The only other thing I can do is put low air pressure in the cylinder (Im not sure what the smoke machine is regulated at but its pretty low) and see if that shows anything it would have to low enough not to blow out the crank seals. Im wondering of I need to remove the stator and clutch so I have a clear view of the crank seals.

On a side note looking in the exhaust port the piston is scuffed pretty good. I wonder if this could be contributing to lean condition, likely caused by it.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #25
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I reread this thread today and see in post 20 you say you have an aftermarket cdi. What is that cdi from? Have you tried to retard ignition timing at all? How about a colder plug like a 7 or 8 just to try. It seems you went way up with jets and no change and at 50:1 thats a pretty rich mix. I wonder if that cdi is a little too hot for the J17.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #26
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
I reread this thread today and see in post 20 you say you have an aftermarket cdi. What is that cdi from? Have you tried to retard ignition timing at all? How about a colder plug like a 7 or 8 just to try. It seems you went way up with jets and no change and at 50:1 thats a pretty rich mix. I wonder if that cdi is a little too hot for the J17.
That's my last test then im big blockin this SOB
Old 01-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #27
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
the cdi was on it when I got the cart. Its a Chinese after market deal meant to run small engines. When I did crank seals I lined the coil plate up with the marks on the crank case so the timing should be pretty close. I have not tried to adjust it in anyway. I may hook up a stock cdi and do some more testing. I left the aftermarket CDI on and the White rogers solenoids so I could test and report back to the G1 crowd how well the aftermarket stuff worked. When I get time Ill put it back together and swap in the stock CDI off my 84 and see what happens.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #28
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

got it back together except the exhaust. I was checking out the rings on the exhaust flange and broke one. 27 dollars later I have 2 new rings coming in 3-5 days
Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #29
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Hmm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190115_165530.jpg (157.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190115_165629.jpg (200.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #30
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
Hmm
Oh no.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha