lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2019, 02:10 AM   #1
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Primary clutch

2.5 years ago, I replaced a G9 type primary clutch by the Cart Part Plus which looks like a G16 clutch.

After having changed rollers, sliders, ... I would have to also change the "spider", 3 branch star which bolts on the fixed sheave (on Yamaha part is JN6-G6251-01-00, #10 on the attached picture). The holes where the pin goes in are not really round anymore and bigger of course. I tried to contact Bruce at CPP with no answer...

Does anyone know if the Yamaha part adapts on the CPP clutch (mainly the thread I suppose)? I doubt they make parts for it...

On the other hand, I am also hesitating to order the weights of the former G9 clutch as we can find a set of 3 on eBay in the 80$ range. I suspect they come from China, but did somebody used them on this forum?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch.jpg (85.8 KB, 0 views)
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Primary clutch

I have not tried this swap myself, but I suspect the CPP one is a exact copy of the Yamaha one, I bet it will work.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

On their invoice, the description was including the word "comet", which I supposed is true as the rubber cover is stamped "Niagara Erie, PA". I found a Yamaha technical bulletin talking about Comet as attached...

A friend of mine ordered a Chinese copy where nothing is stamped on this cover and the metal is definitely different.

Anyway, at 44.11$, I already ordered it. If it does not work, I shall try to find on this forum a used OEM to rebuild...

I shall keep members updated when I receive it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (61.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:27 AM   #4
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

For information, I just received the OEM G16-A spider (JN6-G6251-00-00) and YES, it perfectly fits on the clutch I bought from CPP...

On another matter, I find strange the plastics inside the weights are not sold alone by Yamaha as they are a bit damaged but not the weights by themselves.

I shall see if I can have some done in Teflon...
Old 03-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
For information, I just received the OEM G16-A spider (JN6-G6251-00-00) and YES, it perfectly fits on the clutch I bought from CPP...

On another matter, I find strange the plastics inside the weights are not sold alone by Yamaha as they are a bit damaged but not the weights by themselves.

I shall see if I can have some done in Teflon...

Any reason you would not have just put the 2017 and above OEM clutch on? Just asking, maybe I missed something.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Any reason you would not have just put the 2017 and above OEM clutch on? Just asking, maybe I missed something.
At the time, I checked to redo the clutch (weights, pins, etc...) but the cost was more than the CPP complete clutch.

It was in 2016, anyway, and I have no idea if we can install this Yamaha clutch (JW8-G6201-22-00 superseded by J0B-G6201-01-00) on a G16...

...perhaps CGTech could answer this question?
Old 03-06-2019, 11:53 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The G16 style has a narrow margin between the starter belt groove and the face of the fixed sheave where the drive belt rides. The YDRA clutch has a margin that's about 1/2" wide. This difference equals belt misalignment in my mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190306_214747.jpg (102.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190306_214701.jpg (87.2 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:12 AM   #8
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The G16 style has a narrow margin between the starter belt groove and the face of the fixed sheave where the drive belt rides. The YDRA clutch has a margin that's about 1/2" wide. This difference equals belt misalignment in my mind.
A real pity when I see the price of this OEM clutch!!!

Would it be possible to replace the fixed sheave of the Ydra by the fixed sheave of the G9 (which are never damaged)?
Old 03-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #9
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Concerning the G2/G14 clutches, the Japanese versions changed their weight design when the USA versions changed the complete clutch (made by Comet). Later, with the Ydra, Yamaha came back to this original design BUT with the modified weights.

For information, the new "designed" weights appeared on the G15-A (JR7) in 1999 and are compatible with G2/G14; their part# is JR7-46205-00-00 and available in USA (5$ more or so but no added collar, etc...).

On the attached document, you will notice that ONLY the weight part is different, all others parts are the same (spider, pins, etc...)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (64.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Just for your info.

We install the 2017 and up, black cover clutch on everything with no issues. Use to install the team clutch when that clutch was new on the model you have with no issues. It was actually a great upgrade ( I know, some will disagree).

I still can get my hands on team clutchs and I use those when the customer does not want to upgrade to the new 2017 and above set up.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha