lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
mdankworth
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 re-magnetize a flywheel magnet

Anyone with experience re-magnetizing the flywheel magnet? Google has not been my friend as of late. Some of the responses show this is simple and easy and others suggest not trying to do so.
I have a G16 with no spark. There appears to be zero strength with the magnet as something as thin as a staple will not stick to it. I've searched the world over for a replacement flywheel or magnet with no luck. Believe I am down to trying to revise the life on what I have.

Thanks ahead of time for any information you can provide!
mdankworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: G16 re-magnetize a flywheel magnet

Not sure about the Yamaha but EZGO's pulser coil has the magnet on it, not the flywheel.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
mdankworth
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, that may very well be the case then. I've been troubleshooting spark issues and ran across a comment elsewhere about the magnet. New OEM coil is on order, perhaps I should await its arrival prior to venturing down the wrong path.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

On G16, magnet is definitely on the flywheel. Not so on G14 and prior tho.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:28 AM   #5
mdankworth
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Status update on this.
Thank you cgtech and trig123 for taking the time and providing responses. This model of cart (G16) without a doubt has the magnet on the flywheel as mentioned by cgtech. All of my attempts to re magnetize this myself failed. I finally found a flywheel posted on ebay, picked this up and resolved the problem.
In my case, I rebuilt the motor myself and can only assume putting heat to the flywheel for removal caused the de magnetizing of the flywheel. Prior to my disassemble it ran fine outside of heavy smoke. Thought I would post a follow up as this may or may not contribute to those of you complaining of weak or intermittent spark. Being a do it your selfer, I would never have given magnet strength a thought when troubleshooting spark. If you’re experiencing weak or no spark this may be an item to review. It would appear the magnet in most or some cases it part of the coil on some models. In the case of a G16 this is not the case, magnet is on the flywheel and without it or with it being weak you will have spark issues.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha