lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
glendaletat
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G9a flooding

I have a Yamaha G9a that starts great in the dead of winter or in the heat of summer. I have had it for about 4 years and very happy with it. At the end of last summer, I noticed that after I use it for a bunch of consecutive starts and stops (even over long distances), on my next restart it appears to be flooded.

Once it does this, I need to let it sit for 2-3 minutes and then it will start right back up. The spark plug looks good.

Any ideas?
glendaletat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G9a flooding

Probably needle valve in carburetor. It's about a $15 fix. Do not go buy one of the cheapo China carbs on the internet, fix the original one you have, it's far superior quality.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
glendaletat
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

What do you think is going on inside that carb as related to my issue?

It seems odd that the unit runs fine initially, meaning if the needle valve was bad wouldn't it run poorly all the time.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

I'd clean the entire fuel system starting with removing the bad designed fuel filter in the tank and installing an in line fuel filter, take apart the fuel pump and clean it with carb cleaner, pull bowl off the carb and clean everything out really good (carb cleaner), and then check your gas tank cap to make sure it's not vapor locking and is venting properly.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
I'd clean the entire fuel system starting with removing the bad designed fuel filter in the tank and installing an in line fuel filter, take apart the fuel pump and clean it with carb cleaner, pull bowl off the carb and clean everything out really good (carb cleaner), and then check your gas tank cap to make sure it's not vapor locking and is venting properly.
^^^-----What he said-----^^^

All it takes is one little piece of dirt or debris, then the needle can't fully close/seat all the way, which will allow is as much fuel as the pump can move to flow through the carb, up and out.

I would also replace the fuel lines with new ones. Over time they can deteriorate and the rubber inside the lines will flow into the carb and can create problems as well.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
^^^-----What he said-----^^^

All it takes is one little piece of dirt or debris, then the needle can't fully close/seat all the way, which will allow is as much fuel as the pump can move to flow through the carb, up and out.

I would also replace the fuel lines with new ones. Over time they can deteriorate and the rubber inside the lines will flow into the carb and can create problems as well.
This raises a good point. Check the fuel lines and make sure they are the correct size. Yamaha's will never run correctly with oversized fuel lines. If I remember correctly they should be 1/4 and 5/16 (verify that, it's been a while.... LOL!).

Also make sure the little vent hose running to the back of the engine is good.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
glendaletat
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Do you recommend a Yamaha parts supplier?
Old 04-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

www.plowmanscarts.com
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha