lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
plug
Not Yet Wild

Smile 1983 G1 engine goes wide open

what is the cause of the engine going wide open when started, I put on a new
carb. but it did not help. Is the engine suppose to idle without the cart moving?
I don`t know anything about golf carts and all help is appreciated

THANKS plug

no cables are sticking, it goes wide open with the throttle closed
plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1983 G1 engine goes wide open

Easy one first.....the engine should not idle. It should only run when the accelerator is depressed.

I have multiple carts with multiple types of carbs and I can't recall now which is which. Does anyone know if G1 carb throttles are sprung to open? At least with the older Columbias (which are similar to G1s) the throttles are wide open when there is nothing acting on them. In other words, when at rest the throttle cable has to pull the butterfly closed rather than pulling it open. If the G1s are this way the result could be a wide open throttle when at rest. By the life of me I can't recall at the moment.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
plug
Not Yet Wild

the throttle is held closed, and the linkage rod is removed from the carb.
also the two linkage rods that go to the exhaust valve are missing.
in other words, when the engine is running, the cart moves, plug
Old 07-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

That linkage system on the G1 is a big pain in the azz. There are so many moving parts and plastic pieces on the ball ends, there's lots of room for trouble. Every one I've had that linkage system ended up in the garbage and I ran the throttle cable direct to the carb with a big ole return spring. Eliminates any problems with binding, broken plastic bits on the linkage balls, and also give you full throttle and more rpm/speed.
slonomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
plug
Not Yet Wild

I don`t know anything about G1 golf carts and if I start making changes I
could make things worse then they are. What I need to know is, what is causing this engine to go wide open when started even with the carb.
completely closed. This golf cart never received any maintenance, the old owner would start it, the engine would go wide open and he was OK with that.
I think it is very dangerous to have just two speeds, stop and wide open. plug
Old 07-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Does it shut off easily when you release the pedal? 2 strokes and diesels are prone to "runaway". I had a 4wheeler do that to me once before, that was scary. IT went full throttle and even pulling the plug wire off, it still kept running until I got the plug removed and made it lose compression and shut off (I couldn't get to the intake to choke it out). When a 2 stroke runs lean and has a lot of carbon buildup inside, it can ignite and cause it to runaway like that. Not sure if this is what yours is doing.

Otherwise, check for intake leaks. Around the carb, check the reeds, crank seals... Something is letting in air other than the carb itself. spray carb cleaner around the carb gasket, around the reed cage, crankshaft seals... see if that changes the RPM any when you spray it there. If so, that's where it is sucking the extra air in from. IT will do this because when you spray there, it will suck in the carb cleaner along with it, which provides it with more fuel and will change the engine RPM with the extra fuel.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The G1 engine is a low compression 2 stroke and should not "run away", that's usually on a high compression engine where you get "compression ignition", also termed "dieseling". It's possible the combustion chamber/head could have significant carbon deposits causing high compression. When the carbon deposits get hot, they ignite the fuel before the spark plug ignites. This is called pre-ignition or ping, different problem though.

I suspect something is binding in the throttle linkage. I recommend looking at that first. While it's off, look at the throttle cable and rod linkage in action. It should be smooth with no sticking or binding. The throttle on the carb should close when you lift your foot off the pedal.

The throttle linkage connects to the exhaust butterfly valve. Some say this valve helps to control engine speed, maybe look to see if that is opening and closing as well.
slonomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

is it smoking after start up. sticking float?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #9
plug
Not Yet Wild

The smoking is not bad, I don`t know about the float. I haven`t had a chance to do
anything to the G1, the dishwasher broke and MA;MA is not happy. I thank everyone
for the help and I hope to be back soon.....plug
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha