lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
jacobsond
Getting Wild

Default what kind of grease

I think I found a possible cause for my clutch trouble. The grease I am using has a temp range of 0-200F. I think I need a higher temp range for there. with the engine heat and belt heat likely getting over 200F. What kind or temp range are you guys using?
jacobsond is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: what kind of grease

I don't think you need high temp grease. What part are you putting grease on?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #3
jacobsond
Getting Wild

Rear sliding sheave. The bushing wore out and jammed on the shaft. It seems like it gets pretty hot back there. A grease with an upper limit of only 200 degrees that I have been using may have contributed to the failure. After i get it going again I will measure temps of the belt after a mile of 3/4 throttle. I bet the temp will be pretty close to 200. At the upper limit of the grease max temp would likely cause the grease to be less effective.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

200 really isn't all that hot, but I'm wondering if you're having belt slippage. A slipping belt will cause extra heat and then it's a chain reaction causing the belt to slip even more.

I've never checked the temp of mine. Under normal load I'm thinking it shouldn't really get that hot. Under load, pulling a trailer, 4 passengers, going uphill, racing...all can cause extra load, things will definitely heat up in a hurry.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
jacobsond
Getting Wild

The grease I was using had spec of 0-200F operating range. I measured the temp after running and I was getting 180-190 on the belt and sliding sheave. The poor quality grease and the worn bushing contributed to the sheave getting stuck on the input shaft. Now I have a new cheap rear sliding sheave a power spring and grease with an operation range of -40-350 degrees. The grease may not have contributed,but a good idea to check what your using. Not just any old cheap grease like I did. My new job as a systems maintenance tech has taught me there is specific stuff for each application. The wrong bearing grease was used here at one point with disastrous results.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha