lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
Livnpaintball
Not Yet Wild

Default No more Gas

Well my wife wants to go electric to get rid of the noise and odor, which electric carts are good and which are garbage?
Livnpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: No more Gas

Any electric cart that has been well maintained and has good newer batteries will serve you well. Maintenance and care is the key with carts. Pay the money for a good one and it will be money well spent. I personally like Yamaha carts, but any of the big 3 are good carts.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yamaha, club car, or ezgo. Whichever one fits your budget and your needs (lift, rear seat, etc).

Personally, I'd get an older one, and rebuild it. You still have your gasser to drive until its finished. You can find a worn out cart for $500 pretty much anywhere with bad batteries. The biggest thing if be concerned with is making sure the frame isnt rusted and the body is in decent shape. You can always paint it or have it painted for not much $. That gives you a ton of budget for new batteries, upgraded motor, controller, solenoid, wiring, etc. You'll be 2k-3k into it by the time its finished but when it's all said and done, it will basically be a brand new cart.

I recently sold a club car DS with great batteries, admiral motor, alltrax controller, hd solenoid, upgraded wiring, new MCOR4, 6" lift kit, brand new tires, fresh paint job, etc. For $3k. Cart would cruise 25+mph all day long. There was nothing in the cart except the frame that was more than a year old.

ANY electric cart you look at, I would budget new batteries. I dont care if they're 6 months or 6 years old. 6 month old batteries can still be complete garbage if not properly maintained. Lot of people fall into the "new batteries" trap. I looked at an ezgo not long ago that had "new batteries" less than a year old. I don't know HOW dry they were, but I couldnt see any water in any of them when I removed the caps.

And finally, this is the gas section. Some of us have some experience with electric carts, I've built a few myself. But you would get a lot more educated and experienced responses in one of the electric cart sections of the forum. Those guys that deal with electric carts regularly can offer a lot better advice.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:37 AM   #4
jacobsond
Getting Wild

Why no more gas? My wife wanted electric because she was tired of the noise and the smell of the gas G9.Now we have a 2009 clubcar electric and a G9 that she has no idea how much money I can spend on modifications. Best of both worlds.An electric for around town nice and quite and a G9 for me on the country gravel roads.
jacobsond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
Roy Gurley
Gone Wild

Club Car

Location: Retired and live in small town of Timberlake, North Carolina

Make sure it is made in USA!
Roy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I can understand noise, though aside from a couple, most the gas carts I've had are really quiet. The G2 I just pulled out of a hole you can barely hear it running at all...

But... I cant understand the "smell". None of my carts have had any kind of noticeable odor when they run. IMO if you can smell anything when it's running you either are burning oil, or carb is not working right and it's way rich.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #7
Livnpaintball
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsond View Post
Why no more gas? My wife wanted electric because she was tired of the noise and the smell of the gas G9.Now we have a 2009 clubcar electric and a G9 that she has no idea how much money I can spend on modifications. Best of both worlds.An electric for around town nice and quite and a G9 for me on the country gravel roads.
Smell of gas and the noise, she wants to hear the birds instead of the motor that sounds like a diesel.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
Livnpaintball
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I can understand noise, though aside from a couple, most the gas carts I've had are really quiet. The G2 I just pulled out of a hole you can barely hear it running at all...

But... I cant understand the "smell". None of my carts have had any kind of noticeable odor when they run. IMO if you can smell anything when it's running you either are burning oil, or carb is not working right and it's way rich.
Carb may be rich, the exhaust is blown back up to the seats when the windshield is up an the wife complains when the windshield is down, no win situation.

At speed the motor gets quite but off of idle it is very noisy like piston slap or really bad gas. I bought it off lease so it has some time on the motor.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #9
jacobsond
Getting Wild

What most of us consider normal smells on a good running engine some may not like it. My wife seems oversensitive to exhaust or gas fumes. What I consider normal or no smell she finds offensive. To me my G9 gas has virtually no gas or exhaust smell. Your not parking that stinky thing in my garage is what I get. Its a good thing we have 2 garages. One for her sweet smelling stuff and one for my sweet smelling stuff.
jacobsond is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha