lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
BurningCart
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1986 Yahama G2 (gas) fuel issue.

Hello all. I am in need of some help. It's been a couple years since I have posted. I recently bought a stock gas Yamaha G2, which ran intermittently at that time. Seemed like it would flood out, and then take a couple days before it would run again.. I ordered a new carb, and I installed it with a new fuel line. The cart ran better with the new carb, but still would flood and need a few days to relax, before it would run again. Yesterday, I put new rubber hooks on the air filter box lid, which it never had and I read was important to this model, and it didn't run well after that. I noticed at that time, the carburetor spacer was big time cracked, so today I replaced it too. New carb, new spacer, new fuel line, and now the S.O.B. won't run at all. Kicked over once, and that was it. I cleaned the plug off etc., and no luck. Observations: The fuel line I installed is a clear yellow, and I can see lots of air bubbles traveling through the fuel line, that doesn't seem right. The air filter is old, and wet with oil which could be the issue, but I disconnected the air filter box, and it still didn't run. So, new fuel pump? New air filter? Adjust carb? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BurningCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 1986 Yahama G2 (gas) fuel issue.

Air bubbles in the fuel line usually means you're sucking air somewhere in the fuel supply line. Replace the entire fuel line back to the tank, as well as the vacuum line to the engine.

Drain your tank and remove the fuel filter cap and inspect it. See if it's damaged or clogged. Replace if needed.

Fuel pump could also be the culprit. You can buy a Briggs part that is much cheaper than the Yamaha part and they work just fine. If it hasn't been replaced, I'd get a new one, they aren't expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: png G2 G9 fuel filter.png (33.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg briggs fuel pump.jpg (87.8 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1986 Yahama G2 (gas) fuel issue.

Reading through your list...

If the air filter is old and oil soaked, replace it.
I would second removing the fuel tank, clean it out, and while it is out rip out the fuel filter that's on the cap. They usually deteriorate when you touch them anyway. It's not uncommon for these tanks to fill with water, especially if your gas door is missing (and they usually are...). I bought a G2 this week myself, and here is a pic of what I poured out of the gas tank last night...
Replace the fuel lines with new ones and add in a regular in-line fuel filter between the fuel pump and carb.

Did you get an OEM mikuni carb or a $20 aftermarket carb? If you got the cheapie, do yourself a favor and clean out the OEM one really well. You can use the gaskets and stuff from the cheapie. It will never run right with an aftermarket carb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190901_224223.jpg (340.6 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha