lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #11
slowride77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1999 G16 Smoking and using oil

LOL. True. I know it will run without issues while smoking, it’s just my OCD that wants it to go away. Plus my kids act like that are hacking and coughing when it puffs smoke at startup and the wife likes to make note of it too. You know, just trying to make everyone happy. Of course that might be harder than just rebuilding the engine. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slowride77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride77 View Post
LOL. True. I know it will run without issues while smoking, it’s just my OCD that wants it to go away. Plus my kids act like that are hacking and coughing when it puffs smoke at startup and the wife likes to make note of it too. You know, just trying to make everyone happy. Of course that might be harder than just rebuilding the engine. Haha.

I'll trade you a crusty old G2 that doesn't smoke a lick, that'll make them happy
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #13
slowride77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker000 View Post
I bought a G9 at an auction held at a shop that did a lot of golf cart work. They had written "Motor Shot" on windshield so it went cheap. Fired right up and ran fine as I drove it on my trailer. Lots of pep but a ton of smoke. Pulled the hose from the oil bath filter to the carb - oily inside. Ran it without those attached - zero smoke. Obviously sucking oil into intake. Worth looking at.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

Either I don’t know where this hose is, or looking at my service manual exploded views, I’m not sure that the G16 has this hose or filter???

Old 09-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
jparker000
Not Yet Wild

I'm not sure of the G16 setup - my G9 has an oil bath air filter with a short hose (maybe 6" long) connecting the filter to the mouth of the carb. If your filter is a dry filter, this shouldn't be an issue.

jparker000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #15
slowride77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

So if my cart is running fine, just a little smoking, I am making a mistake if I pull the carb and give it a good cleaning? I keep reading other posts where people talk about the float sticking and dumping gas into the crankcase which is causing smoking.

How does gas get into the oil? And should I go through the carb and clean it? Could it make a difference if it runs fine right now?

Old 09-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If it were gas in the crankcase youd see 2 things
.. first, your oil level would be very overfilled and keep overfilling. also your oil would smell like gas.

Usually the gas will get in the crankcase 1 of 2 ways, either sticking float/dirt not allowing the needle to seat, or a failed fuel pump. If the pump.diaphagm cracks, gas can seep past it through the pulse line and into the crankcase.

I dont know if you can pull the head on a G16 or not without removing the engine from the cart, but you could try and replace the valve seals first. It's not hard to replace them once the head is off, and may cure the startup smoke at least.

If you have to pull the motor to get to them, then I would just rebuild it while it's out. Do it once and be done.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #17
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker000 View Post
I'm not sure of the G16 setup - my G9 has an oil bath air filter with a short hose (maybe 6" long) connecting the filter to the mouth of the carb. If your filter is a dry filter, this shouldn't be an issue.

I have never seen this on a Yamaha.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #18
slowride77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If it were gas in the crankcase youd see 2 things
.. first, your oil level would be very overfilled and keep overfilling. also your oil would smell like gas.

Usually the gas will get in the crankcase 1 of 2 ways, either sticking float/dirt not allowing the needle to seat, or a failed fuel pump. If the pump.diaphagm cracks, gas can seep past it through the pulse line and into the crankcase.

I dont know if you can pull the head on a G16 or not without removing the engine from the cart, but you could try and replace the valve seals first. It's not hard to replace them once the head is off, and may cure the startup smoke at least.

If you have to pull the motor to get to them, then I would just rebuild it while it's out. Do it once and be done.

So you see no merit in pulling the carb off and thoroughly cleaning if it runs just fine? The float is obviously not sticking since it runs great.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride77 View Post
So you see no merit in pulling the carb off and thoroughly cleaning if it runs just fine? The float is obviously not sticking since it runs great.

You're welcome to try it, but I've never seen a carb cause what you've described. And given the general.overall condition you've described in your first post about this, If it were mine I would plan on pulling and just rebuilding the motor. Or if you're not comfortable doing it yourself call don plowman and have him rebuild it, and get much better performance than stock :)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #20
slowride77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Ok. Cool. Thanks for the help!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha