lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2019, 12:54 AM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Can a High Torque spring damage a big block engine?

I always use my own made up line to distinguish..... "It was B3 before it was B4". Your stock setting was B-3.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would have to dig in my build post, I think I put mine at C1 last time. But the clone spark knocks if rpm get too low that is why I moved it up, plus the g22 spring seems a little softer than G9 one I had that broke. For a larger engine you should not need it, use the low rpm torque. My clone has a cheater cam in it and its only a 420.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Cgtech nice to see you on here. I been busy and new PC could not get on here, finally had time to figure it out and get it working.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #14
CoolTrees
Not Yet Wild

Ok so my stock spring came in the mail and I have my secondary disassembled. I have my spring in B and 3. Now the questions is how much preload/twist does it get? It lines up perfect where it is, BUT am I supposed to rotate it over one slide? Or possible even more? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
CoolTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It is 120 degree rotation, so 1/3 turn, which is about one full ramp. It will be more with a higher letter/number and less with a really low setting. Stock setting is typically one ramp approx. rotation so when you let it go with the nut on it presses the shoes on the ramp with some medium force and typical person could turn the sheave to get the shoes off the ramps. With 3 ramps each ramp is 120 degrees out of 360 circle. If you go two ramps it will be very difficult for a person to do by hand as the higher settings are.

So usually you get the key in and sheave on with spring in holes verified, turn it to the next ramp and will feel some pressure, and then push it in and try to work the shoes to the bottom of that ramp and hold it, get the nut on quick. For a normal person it is doable but takes some effort. You should get a new nut if yours looks trashed or the locking part is not resisting at all. If you can't do it say you are an old retired guy with arm/hand problems, then you can do it like they do aftermarket springs and get a ratchet strap across the outer sheave and carefully tighten it enough to hold it in while turning it to the next ramp. Be very careful of using any hard tools on the sheaves they bend and break really easily on the outer areas and you will be buying new ones. I have also used a 2x4 through to the floor to hold the outer sheave in just enough to get nut on with a umax spring that is a little stiffer.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #16
CoolTrees
Not Yet Wild

Ok so far that all makes sense. I'll give it a try this afternoon when I'm back at the cart. If I knew more about it I would make a video of the process as I can't seem to find anything for a golf cart stock spring setup on youtube.YouTube. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
CoolTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Normally at stock setting you can almost put it all on and push it in so the top of ramps almost touch (not much pressure at all here), then turn it exactly one ramp to wind the spring up (now feel resistance), then press it into the ramps so the shoes hit ramp and you should be about where it needs to be (it is resisting you in rotation and outward). Pressing it in more and to bottom of that ramp makes more room to get the nut on. Or have a helper get the nut started.

Most 70s-80s snowmobiles use the same kind of setup.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha