lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
Jbhansen
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 1986 G1 Carburetor Problems

Just bought. It was running sluggishly and smoking very bad. I replaced the muffler, air filter, and gas filter. I removed and cleaned the carburetor.
The green hose on the right side of the carburetor has a small bearing in the end of it (it fits snuggly) where it connects to the carburetor. This seems wrong, but the motor runs with it there. Is this right or should I remove it.
Then there is black hose that comes out of the left side of the carburetor loops over the top, but apparently does not connect to anything. I have looked for a place for it to connect to with no success. This hose spews fuel when the engine is running, which is obviously not right. Any suggestions?
Both hoses can be seen in the attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66F3513B-2285-4A48-BA74-A70374AE9313.jpg (18.7 KB, 0 views)
Jbhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1986 G1 Carburetor Problems

It's tough to tell from the pic but it sounds like you may have a couple of things going on there. First, the hose that connects to "nothing" and spews fuel is correct. That's your overflow hose which is meant to discharge excess gas from the carb to help prevent flooding. That it is constantly discharging fuel is likely part of your issue as it shouldn't be. More on that in a sec.

There shouldn't be any hoses with bearings in them. I can only assume that this hose was once part of the oil injection system which someone deleted and placed a bearing in there to prevent vacuum loss. If you have to mix your gas with oil then this is probably the case.

Back to the discharge hose, if your discharge hose is constantly spitting out gas then your carb is getting too much gas and flooding. This would cause the excessive smoking and sluggishness that your are seeing. There is a float in your carb's float bowl that likely needs adjusted down. Those work exactly the same as the floats in the back of a toilet.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Jbhansen
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the advice. I will try to work on it again this weekend.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
Fishe1me
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Back to the discharge hose, if your discharge hose is constantly spitting out gas then your carb is getting too much gas and flooding. This would cause the excessive smoking and sluggishness that your are seeing. There is a float in your carb's float bowl that likely needs adjusted down. Those work exactly the same as the floats in the back of a toilet.
I've got the same problem; cart wont take off unless you hold the pedal to the floor for 5-10 sec. Getting way too much fuel and pisses out the overflow discharge. So when you say "needs adjusted down", what you mean is the little flipper on the float that pushes the needle valve into the seat needs to be adjusted so that it pushes the needle farther into the seat... correct? As the carb sits, mounted on the cart, this would actually be adjusting it up, in physical relation to the earth, right? Bend the flipper up and the fuel flow goes down. Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly before I start bending that little thing back and forth.

@Jbhansen, did you try this, and did it work?

Thanks gentlemen.
Fishe1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
Jbhansen
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Just finished working on mine. Runs great. Ended up buying a new carburetor, $40 online, because I couldn’t get the float in the old one adjusted right. Ran rough for the first few minutes, but smoothed out and has been running great all week. Absolutely no overflow. Next I tackled the oil injector. Bought new clear line to replace the colored one. Also found a second ball bearing in the hose by the reservoir and removed it. Bled the line and drove all out for 15-20 minutes. Now I can see that the hose is full of oil all the way to the carburetor.

They have cheaper carburetors online, but I opted to buy from a golf cart place that had a good return policy.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:02 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishe1me View Post
I've got the same problem; cart wont take off unless you hold the pedal to the floor for 5-10 sec. Getting way too much fuel and pisses out the overflow discharge. So when you say "needs adjusted down", what you mean is the little flipper on the float that pushes the needle valve into the seat needs to be adjusted so that it pushes the needle farther into the seat... correct? As the carb sits, mounted on the cart, this would actually be adjusting it up, in physical relation to the earth, right? Bend the flipper up and the fuel flow goes down. Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly before I start bending that little thing back and forth.

@Jbhansen, did you try this, and did it work?

Thanks gentlemen.
Sorry Fish, I missed this. Indeed, the "up - down" thing is relative to person doing the work.

The adjustment is actually made by slightly bending the little metal piece in the middle of the float. It's called a tang. If the carb is upside right, bending the tang up will lower the float and call for less fuel in the bowl. Bending the tang down will raise the float and allow more fuel in the bowl.

From the factory, most carbs are set to "level". That is, when holding the carb upside down and having it fairly close to level, the float should be set so it's level to the body of the carb. Of course, that's factory. It may need to be adjusted for differences in each cart.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #7
Fishe1me
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Sorry Fish, I missed this. Indeed, the "up - down" thing is relative to person doing the work.

The adjustment is actually made by slightly bending the little metal piece in the middle of the float. It's called a tang. If the carb is upside right, bending the tang up will lower the float and call for less fuel in the bowl. Bending the tang down will raise the float and allow more fuel in the bowl.

From the factory, most carbs are set to "level". That is, when holding the carb upside down and having it fairly close to level, the float should be set so it's level to the body of the carb. Of course, that's factory. It may need to be adjusted for differences in each cart.
Thanks, Lochlin. That's what I figured after reading a couple times. Went out, removed the float bowl, tiny screwdriver to bend that bad boy up a bit, and BOOM! She's a brand new girl! The darn thing runs immaculately! Just ordered new brake pads & drums as well as front hub bearings. Cant wait to install it all. Thanks again!
Fishe1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha