lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #1
dperillo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default electric issue/questions G16A

Hello, New to forum. So I've been working on a 1996 G16A cart. Had a hard start issue and low compression. I figured the start issue was from the low compression so I rebuilt the engine. Carb shaft was bad so replaced carb. Did piston, rings, valves, springs, guides, push rods. all that.

Well I now have good compression but the start issue is still there. It appears to flood out if you dont just barely touch the gas peddle. It always has spark, but I don't think its good spark. My thoughts are the spark is weak and or out of time which is making it flood.

Im not real familiar with these cart 12 volt setups and looking for some advice on what to check or on how this system works.

Some things I did already:
Tested coil by the book. Ohm's test shows ok. Maybe slightly high on the .5 to 1.5 test. I was reading about 1.9

I do see that the coil air gap is really high. Supposed to be .012" - .020". It at least double that, but cant adjust it any closer. Maybe I can grind out the bolt slots.

Followed the no spark procedure in the book. Everything checks out and I do have spark, just think its week or out of time. When everything checks out by the book, book says replace stop switch.

The stop switch... I test and seems ok. QUESTION.. there is 12v going into the switch but only .5v coming out of the blue wire. Is this ok? seems like the coil should be getting more then .5v If I jumper this switch, so the blue wire is seeing 12v, then there is no spark at all. ??

Ground wires. Not sure whats up here. This cart will still spark without the wire to the coil. ??? It has to be picking up some type of voltage thru the engine, right??? very confused on that one.

So that was long and hard to lay out everything but any help is much appreciated. This thing is kicking my butt. lol. I don't want to just throw money at it.

Thanks guys..
dperillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: electric issue/questions G16A

Did you test the stop switch--under the floor, or the stop relay?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

OEM or aftermarket coil/TCI?

I use a matchbook cover for the gap.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The ignition system makes spark from the magnet in the flywheel. The blue wires job is to shut down the coil by grounding it out,. It will make spark with the blue wire not connected. Since it wont adjust correctly, I suspect it's a chinese copy of the original. The original will adjust until it touches the flywheel.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
dperillo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Did you test the stop switch--under the floor, or the stop relay?
I did the engine stop relay by the battery. Next to the solenoid. That's what they call it in the book.

The relay will trigger, but when engaged the 12v going in
(red & white wire) turns to .5v going out (blue wire).

The blue wire is the one going to the coil.

Thanks..
Old 03-22-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
dperillo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
OEM or aftermarket coil/TCI?

I use a matchbook cover for the gap.
I'm not sure, I would think aftermarket based on hearing the cheap coils don't adjust correctly. I have heard of the business card trick as well. Book says .012 to .020. This one is way more then that.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
dperillo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The ignition system makes spark from the magnet in the flywheel. The blue wires job is to shut down the coil by grounding it out,. It will make spark with the blue wire not connected. Since it wont adjust correctly, I suspect it's a chinese copy of the original. The original will adjust until it touches the flywheel.
Do you know of a way to check the engine stop relay? Its about a $70 item. Dont want to just replace if I cant really determine if its bad. I'm thinking to replace the coil anyway. It has to be a chinese one like you said. Although it did ohm test ok.

Any thought on grinding out the bolt holes to let the coil be adjusted??

Would being to far away from the flywheel cause a timing issue?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Heres the diagram with all the info on the stop relay plug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200322_114016.jpg (435.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
dperillo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Heres the diagram with all the info on the stop relay plug.
So if I understand this correct. The relay gets 12v thru red/white wire when gas peddle is pushed. It then opens the relay so coil is not grounded and spark goes to plug. When peddle is let off, the red/white wire loses 12v and the relay closes which grounds the blue wire and coil to stops spark from going to plug.

So with that, I would say it's probably not my issue. Only thing I could see happening there is the cart wouldn't shut off, or wouldn't have any spark at all.

I'm leaning toward the coil being too far away from pickup and the timing not right. Possible junk coil as well. This start issue has been there since the cart was bought. So its possible they put this china coil on and then sold cart.

Gonna get a new coil.....

Thanks guys. I'll let ya know how I make out.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

I think you understand it correctly.

And, that relay is definitely not a common failure item.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha