lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Default off topic - speed

I just bought the below 4 wheeler. Why is it so much faster and more explosive than my golf cart. 4 wheeler (500 cc vs cart with over 600 cc) 23 HP vtwin BS. What is the primary difference in engines. While we were racing I did get the cart up to 44mph. I don't know if this is fast or not for my cart? I do want more speed though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200614_112427.jpg (532.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg zzz100.jpg (294.0 KB, 0 views)
Bubsbuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #2
matthd24
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Post Re: off topic - speed

The quad even tho it’s 500cc is over 32hp and has more torque is pushing more rpms ! And that’s is fast for a golf cart with the 23hp. If you want more speed out of your cart you can get high speed gears, bigger tires or build that 23hp motor
matthd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: off topic - speed

ATV's are built for a different purpose, work and play. Golf carts are built for....well....golf, low speed, and drinking.

But seriously, top speed is all about rpm and gearing. Golf carts are geared really low, and the drive clutches are geared for slow speeds and gentle driving.
The big block engines we put into the golf carts are made for generators and lawn mowers, basically utility engines. The power output is different and the technology is very basic and old school.

ATV's and UTV's have engines and gearing that are made for performance. The technology is newer and better, some use "the best" technology. The engines are made for high rpm use and the clutching and gearing are made to produce speed and power.

Just two different animals. Now, ATV's will NEVER be street legal accepted like a golf cart will. Road legal golf carts are LSV (Low Speed Vehicles) and should not be capable of more than 25 mph in most cities/towns. ATV's are ORV (Off Road Vehicles) capable of high speeds, and campgrounds don't want people driving UTV's either lol.

Can you make a golf cart as fast as an ATV? Yup. How much money and time you got?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxvfnEP9O9Y
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:37 PM   #4
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthd24 View Post
The quad even tho it’s 500cc is over 32hp and has more torque is pushing more rpms ! And that’s is fast for a golf cart with the 23hp. If you want more speed out of your cart you can get high speed gears, bigger tires or build that 23hp motor
My 23 V-twin does have a spring rev kit and a cheta cam. All Internal governor parts have been removed. What would a good carburetor do for it. What else can I do to it?? I am taching out at 5k
Old 06-16-2020, 06:37 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsbuggie View Post
My 23 V-twin does have a spring rev kit and a cheta cam. All Internal governor parts have been removed. What would a good carburetor do for it. What else can I do to it?? I am taching out at 5k
Well a Mikuni carb would make a big difference. I'm in the process of fine tuning a 34mm VM on my 23. The jets just came Saturday but I didn't have time to play with it yet. I'll tell ya, with the 42mm Mikuni CV.....that thing ripped! It just would flood the rear cylinder at idle. Never got any farther than that.

Not sure what kind of power/speed you're looking for. The gearing on the golf cart is what is holding you back from more speed. They are geared really low. A built 23 Vanny with a Mikuni carb and 8:1 gears is where I'm headed.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Is there a particular carb model that you might suggest.

http://www.mikunipower.com/
Old 06-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsbuggie View Post
Is there a particular carb model that you might suggest.

http://www.mikunipower.com/
You can read through my thread if you wish.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=156542

Right now I'm using a VM34 Mikuni. It's in the tuning stages as we speak.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha