lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Normal operation VIDEO

So I am still having a slight banging when taking off from a stop. Heres a video of my cart jacked up and me spinning the driver side wheel. Is this normal operation?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vpyMItjxsk0
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Normal operation VIDEO

Well, your cart should have an open differential, which means when you spin one tire it won't necessarily transfer the motion to the clutch when on jack stands. To get the clutch to rotate you'll have to spin both tires in the same direction. The easiest way to do this is to put the cart in gear and roll in on the ground. Then you will see the clutch spinning. Then the noise you might be hearing will be louder and more noticeable.

I will say this. If you roll the cart on the ground and you hear noise in the transmission? You have something broken, possibly a gear or input shaft. No way to know until the trans is opened up.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Well, your cart should have an open differential, which means when you spin one tire it won't necessarily transfer the motion to the clutch when on jack stands. To get the clutch to rotate you'll have to spin both tires in the same direction. The easiest way to do this is to put the cart in gear and roll in on the ground. Then you will see the clutch spinning. Then the noise you might be hearing will be louder and more noticeable.

I will say this. If you roll the cart on the ground and you hear noise in the transmission? You have something broken, possibly a gear or input shaft. No way to know until the trans is opened up.
If I push the cart it rolls for a bit then stops, and it won’t go anymore, rear tires just skid across the garage floor. I just took it for about 5 mile ride and it runs like a scalded ape.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. If it runs great, what's the issue? Not quite following.

If it runs, shifts, drives good, no noises....then you're good.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. If it runs great, what's the issue? Not quite following.

If it runs, shifts, drives good, no noises....then you're good.
It does bang at start up. Should I be able to push the cart in F indefinitely, or should it stop and lock up the rear tires and skid across garage floor? Is that normal, if so I’m golden. No noises while riding
Old 06-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If there is a "bang" sound, something isn't right. Not sure I'd drive it around without finding out what that is. It could be clutch related or transmission/diff related.

What I would do is remove the belt then see if it rolls smooth and quiet. It it does, it means your transmission and differential are working properly.

If you have noises, then start looking at the clutches and belt.

If the sound only happens when you first start the engine, it could be in the primary clutch, just a hunch.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
If there is a "bang" sound, something isn't right. Not sure I'd drive it around without finding out what that is. It could be clutch related or transmission/diff related.

What I would do is remove the belt then see if it rolls smooth and quiet. It it does, it means your transmission and differential are working properly.

If you have noises, then start looking at the clutches and belt.

If the sound only happens when you first start the engine, it could be in the primary clutch, just a hunch.
Excellent info, I’m also wondering if the ramp shoes are worn and slipping.

Belt is off and cart pushes forwards and backwards like butter. No noises no bangs, and driven clutch is moving/spinning freely.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

There you go, sounds like trans is ok.

I would take the primary clutch off and inspect it. Thinks I look for are flat rollers and worn moving parts. Usually the only place clutches need any grease in on the shaft where it mounts.

How old are the clutches? Yes ramp buttons wear. So does the belt and the sheave faces.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #9
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
There you go, sounds like trans is ok.

I would take the primary clutch off and inspect it. Thinks I look for are flat rollers and worn moving parts. Usually the only place clutches need any grease in on the shaft where it mounts.

How old are the clutches? Yes ramp buttons wear. So does the belt and the sheave faces.
I had primary off about a month ago, not too sure what I was looking for but it opens and closes smoothly. Clutches have some age I bet. I have only had the cart for a year. Here is a pic/video of the primary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUS2gqaZPRQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDA7FFE7-12DD-47DA-B693-A909F1AC4E99.jpg (70.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #10
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH View Post
I had primary off about a month ago, not too sure what I was looking for but it opens and closes smoothly. Clutches have some age I bet. I have only had the cart for a year. Here is a pic/video of the primary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUS2gqaZPRQ
Any suggestions where to get good priced and quality clutches? Should I stay aware from the heavy-duty or power kits with a colored spring?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha