lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2020, 10:05 PM   #1
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha Gas EFI QuietTech PTV HP Question

I have a 2017 EFI QuietTech PTV and the sticker on the body at the back of the seat shows the HP to be 8.9. A friend at the course recently bought a new 2020 and his sticker shows 12.29 HP. His brother then bought a used 2018 PTV and his shows 8.9 HP. I saw a 2019 PTV for sale and the sticker showed 12.29 HP. I called a Yamaha dealership today and asked what the difference in the motors was and he said none. They are all 11.5 HP and have been for years and to disregard the stickers.

Can someone that is up on newer Yamaha EFI gas carts enlighten me on these models and if there really is a HP difference? I have only driven my 2017 so don't know if the newer ones seem more powerful.

Thanks
villebacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha Gas EFI QuietTech PTV HP Question

If you have seen the pencil-sized hole that the Quietech intake breathes through, you might believe the sticker. All in the name of "quiet" I suppose. You can make the hole bigger, but more intake noise may be heard.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:30 AM   #3
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Call Don Plowman and he will ensure that the sticker under your seat is wrong after you install his parts. Do it discreetly and then ask your friend and his brother to race you. After the race don't say anything, just point to your 8.9HP sticker
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If you have seen the pencil-sized hole that the Quietech intake breathes through, you might believe the sticker. All in the name of "quiet" I suppose. You can make the hole bigger, but more intake noise may be heard.
Due tell.. Is this an approved Yamaha procedure?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am also a Yamaha dealer and the dealer is correct...standard gas Yamahas(not U-max or Adventurers) have a 357cc Engine that has 11.5 HP. However that being said I CAN verify what you are saying is true as I have a 2017 that does say 8.9 on the sticker and a 2020 that say 12.29...disregard these specs I dunno why they say that but will find out now that I am aware.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

This little elbow right here. It has what I'd call a significant restriction inside. It's a pain to get out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200805-154646_Gallery.jpg (165.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Can you tell a noticeable difference when you lessen that restriction? I already have Plowman air filter and clutches along with the spark resistor removed.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Well, the jury is out on that one as of today. I want to take 2 brand new carts, test them side by side. Then I want to do "one at a time testing" by removing the baffle, opening up that elbow, and do real comparisons. I'm sure my boss will be ok with that, I just havent had the time to do it yet. This has been the busiest "off season" I've had in the 13 years I been doing this. Our "off season" jobs arent even done yet (like forklift maintenance & the other things that usually get their "off season" time afforded to them). Forklift usually gets a oil change, garage door maintenance, air compressor oil change, stuff like that.. not done yet. When it cools off here, will be even harder to do that.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:50 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Not seeing many of these could you pull the air box off another model that is larger?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Did you ever talk to Yamaha to find out what they said about the difference in the HP rating on their 2017 -2020 gas carts?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha