lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
George1991
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas G1 stopped running

Have what was a great running little g1 until last night. Drove down the road and stopped went to restart the machine and it will just crank. Upon further investigation I found I have no spark. Ordered a new coil because those are cheap on amazon but decided to dig deeper. Pulled the wires going to the coil and tested with a meter and I have about 20vdc not sure what it’s supposed to be getting but that seemed good to me. But in a new spark plug and held it to the frame while cranking and had no visible spark. Put the new plug in anyway then the machine ran for about 45 seconds I let it shut off and will not restart
George1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2020, 10:26 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Gas G1 stopped running

If you don't have any spark, it can only be a couple things. Yes, the ignition coil is one of them. The other is the CDI box, aka ignitor box. I don't know how to test the CDI, but you can test the coil. You have to set your multimeter to ohms at 20,000 range, then use one lead on the body of the coil where the bolts go, the other lead on the plug wire, you should get between 3-5 ohms, but you'll have to look up the specs for the exact number. The point is, a bad coil usually won't show any readings. You can also test between the body and the kill wire.

The other thing to look for is a blown fuse. There are inline fuses on the wires coming off the battery, just trace them down and you'll find the fuse holders. Check those.

Also look at your wiring to make sure a wire didn't come unplugged, it happens all the time on older carts, especially after a bumpy ride or after someone is working on it pulling on wires and such.

The last thing is the pedal switch. There is a switch under the accelerator pedal that kills the ignition when you let off the pedal. That switch could be bad. There is a test for that switch somewhere here, but you could also look in the manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yamaha G1 Servie Manual.pdf (18.94 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Yamaha-wiring-diagram-G1A.pdf (173.9 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Check the stator wires coming out of the engine they can chaff there
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
George1991
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies I’ve been busy the last few days but I’m gonna try and get it figured out this evening
Old 08-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
George1991
Not Yet Wild

Alright y’all I’m seriously scratching my head here. Put a new coil on because my old one had no ohms reading and I never liked the spark plug wire. Cart runs now kinda... really hard to start cranks forever and will only start at part throttle... cart runs but spits and sputters if I try and get any real speed going. Checked all electrical connections and applied dialectric grease. Getting fuel to carb seems like the fuel pumps working well
Old 08-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #6
George1991
Not Yet Wild

I also bypassed the switch on the throttle pedal and it changed nothing
Old 08-12-2020, 11:58 PM   #7
Prof100
Not Yet Wild

Check the wires going to the coil. My 1981 G1 stopped starting. Turned out a critter (mouse, ground hog, squirrel or other) chewed through one of the wires. Replaced the wire and shielded it and it is back to normal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C4B0B22C-9BBB-4DC2-BE75-49424E875057.jpeg (107.8 KB, 0 views)
Prof100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

For clarity, your spark is ok now or is it coming or going as the cart is used? If it's coming and going then your cdi is probably failing. I have seen some of those perform intermittently when they start to go while others will simply go from perfect to nothing at all.

There are plenty of non-spark issues that can cause your issue as well but it would be a great coincidence for you to develop a fuel delivery issue at the exact same time as a spark one, especially if your cart had been running great just before that spark issue.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #9
George1991
Not Yet Wild

It was an intermittent problem I ended up going all over the wiring harness on the cart and putting dielectric grease on all the connections and re did a ground that looked bad to me. Cart runs great now so I assume it was a bad connection or ground somewhere.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha