lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 28% vs 36% driven clutch

Hi guys,
I have a 2007 St 480 workhorse.It has the 16 hp Briggs motor.I have been having issues with the clutch and have had this apart several times.The first time I removed the driven clutch I found that the clutch was frozen on the shaft within the clutch There was no way that the sheeves could move.I managed to free this up only after a rather verbal exchange with every thing within earshot.After I cleaned every thing up,I decided to put in a heaver spring.I ordered one and when I went to put the spring in I noticed that the spring was not the same as the one that I had removed.The one that was in the clutch had a prong on each end of the spring that would be inserted into a a hole in both the sheeve and the torque ramp.The heaver spring did not.After reading about putting in a heaver spring I saw no mention of how I should rotate the ramp 140% as there was no way to stop the spring from turning.
I put the spring in and it pulled like a bear.The only issue I had was there was very little give.When I started the cart the first thing in the morning and I had the use the choke ,when the cart started it almost jump out from underneath me.After it did get started it would pull fine but it ran at about half throttle for quite some time before it started to increase to speed.It ran at a very high rpm at the start,almost to the point of absurd.
After a short time I pulled the clutch and replaced the spring with the one that was in the cart when I got it.I thought that after I had cleaned up the shaft and clutch where it would perform correctly,my problems would be solved.Not to be.I am still having the same issues that I had before I changed the spring.
The cart starts out just fine at first but quickly shifts up to the point where it almost bogs down.When I stop and restart it will then screece and squeal.
I have been doing some reading about changing from a 36 to a 28 degree driven clutch.It seems that all of the workhorse carts have a 28 degree driven clutch,except the 480 workhorse.Of course.
A few questions.
Is there a reason why the 480 has a 36 degree driven clutch?
Will a 28 degree driven clutch fit on a shaft that has a 36 degree driven clutch such as the St 480 ?
Is there any reason that I should stay away from a 28 degree driven clutch on this cart ?
I would appreaciate any help you can give me.

Reggie
reggie dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Diceman1530
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 28% vs 36% driven clutch

The 28* helix holds it in low gear longer.
Diceman1530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:12 PM   #3
Bobby J
Not Yet Wild

My 2004 st 480 has the 28 degree clutch.
Bobby J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=Diceman1530;1232276]The 28* helix holds it in low gear longe

There has to be more to it than that.When I checked prices,there is almost $100.00 difference between the two.The St 480 is the brute of the workhorse lineup.Why would they put the 36 degree clutch in that cart ,when you would think they would use the stouter clutch ?
Will the 28 degree clutch fit on the shaft of a cart that has a 36 degree clutch ?
I am not questioning your statement Diceman,but I am confused. I am ready to buy a new clutch as taking this thing off and on is a pain.I just want the get the best clutch I can get.There is no point in getting a part that will not resolve the issue that I am having.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby J View Post
My 2004 st 480 has the 28 degree clutch.
Bobby,does your 2004 St 480 have the 16 hp Briggs?
Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Have you looked through this page: http://krisdillon.com/buggy/

I believe the two clutches are interchangeable. The reason the engine revved so high with the heavy spring is because it was holding in a lower gear ratio longer.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO