lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2017, 11:17 PM   #1
D W K
Not Yet Wild

Default Are G22 and G29 front shocks the same

I need springs and shocks for my G 22. I am seeing lots listed for the G29 at a way better part. Part numbers are different but they really look the same. Guy is selling a used set of shocks for a 29 on Ebay and all related components look the same. I think the lift is the same also.
D W K is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2017, 11:52 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Are G22 and G29 front shocks the same

The few G22 parts carried over to Drive kept their old part number, so I bet if it has a "JW1" part number, it's Drive-specific, not the same. I do know the cast arm the bottom of strut attaches to is the same on both, and has old part number.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
D W K
Not Yet Wild

The 29 has a JW2 part number. Everything looks the same. The G29 is $60 ish and the G22 is $115 ish.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Jw1= gas, Jw2= electric. Early Drive used same Jw2 on both. JW1 is softer. I'm betting they would bolt in, but may not deliver perfectly correct ride height.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
Eng003
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

DWK, I started a thread titled G22 pulling left, this is the information I received from MEIMK "Most of the front end parts (knuckle, control arms, etc are the same between a G22 & G29/Drive, BUT I think the spring rates are different. The coil overs for a Drive are softer. The problem I see is that the G29 weight distribution is skewed more to the rear making it light in the front end". I have a jakes 6" spindle lift and the spindles will not fit the G29 casters. For the cost of the OEM G22 shocks I figured for just a tad bit more I could install a jakes long arm kit. So I called around to some local cart shops and found a pair of used G22 shocks that are like new. Saved a ton of money!!!! Anyways hope this info helps.
Eng003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:14 PM   #6
D W K
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eng003 View Post
DWK, I started a thread titled G22 pulling left, this is the information I received from MEIMK "Most of the front end parts (knuckle, control arms, etc are the same between a G22 & G29/Drive, BUT I think the spring rates are different. The coil overs for a Drive are softer. The problem I see is that the G29 weight distribution is skewed more to the rear making it light in the front end". I have a jakes 6" spindle lift and the spindles will not fit the G29 casters. For the cost of the OEM G22 shocks I figured for just a tad bit more I could install a jakes long arm kit. So I called around to some local cart shops and found a pair of used G22 shocks that are like new. Saved a ton of money!!!! Anyways hope this info helps.
I think for now I am going to try and run the ones I have with some spring spacers to stiffen up the ride height some. I have a Jakes 6" spindle lift coming so I am glad to hear that may be an issue.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #7
Eng003
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

DWK, I just replaced my front shocks and the passenger side one is still in speck, it was the drivers side that was the issue. So If you could find a drivers side I will sell u the passenger side for what I paid for it if your interested. I gave $30 bucks for it.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #8
D W K
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eng003 View Post
DWK, I just replaced my front shocks and the passenger side one is still in speck, it was the drivers side that was the issue. So If you could find a drivers side I will sell u the passenger side for what I paid for it if your interested. I gave $30 bucks for it.
Sounds good. Let me try this part first and I'll let you know ASAP
Old 02-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
Eng003
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Sounds good
Old 03-02-2017, 11:41 PM   #10
D W K
Not Yet Wild

Just FYI for anyone guessing. The 29's will work on a 22. The shock is about 1" closer to the inside (Frame side) but the bolt right in and the camber is fine. I think the springs mat be a tad stiffer but then it may be the fact they are new. The G 29's at $60 each versus $115 for the 22's.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha